99 Explorer Airbag - Jumper Harness? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Airbag - Jumper Harness?

Hitman28

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
Put my mom's explorer on the computer at the Ford place. They said something about a jumper harness. Said it had to do with the air bag control module behind the kick panel on the passenger side. What do they mean by a jumper harness and will I have to replace the control module?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is for side airbags
Which you don't have
Unplug it and clean with wd40

It is for side airbags
Which you don't have
Unplug it and clean with wd40
I forgot one detail about my situation. She was involved in a wreck. Both airbags deployed. Will that module need to be replaced or erased?

I'm not sure

The air bag sensors may need to be replaced after an accident. You need the error code, which should point to a certain sensor etc. I don't think the modules are damaged from an accident, but the sensors are likely.

The air bag sensors may need to be replaced after an accident. You need the error code, which should point to a certain sensor etc. I don't think the modules are damaged from an accident, but the sensors are likely.
They didn't say anything about the sensors. Just about a jumper harness and/or the module. Didn't know if the module stores a hard code that could be erased or would you have to buy a new one and have it programmed for the vehicle.

I've used forscan to clear air bag restraint module codes
If you just have a code for a jumper clean it or replace it
Junk yard is a great place for all these parts

The jumper they speak of might be the dummy sensors installed on seats that have no air bags in them. If so, those are hard codes to eliminate. My 99 has that code, and I plan to replace the module with a 98 version, which has no side air bag feature.

I'll have to look at that also. Undoubtedly when my aunt had the vehicle. She had it worked on and at sometime the module was replaced. It has 2006 on it but I hope that was when the module was made and not for a 2006.
The jumper they speak of might be the dummy sensors installed on seats that have no air bags in them. If so, those are hard codes to eliminate. My 99 has that code, and I plan to replace the module with a 98 version, which has no side air bag feature

The side air bag connectors exist in all vehicles of 99 and newer, the trucks without those air bags have a dummy plug device in them, just a resistor to simulate the air bag.

Put my mom's explorer on the computer at the Ford place. They said something about a jumper harness. Said it had to do with the air bag control module behind the kick panel on the passenger side. What do they mean by a jumper harness and will I have to replace the control module?
If the module was not damaged you should not have to replace it. I did two rebuilders for our kids last year with both having airbags deployed. Other than the airbags, I had to replace the clockspring on one of them, which is behind the steering wheel. Not real hard but a learning thing.

I'll have to look at that also. Undoubtedly when my aunt had the vehicle. She had it worked on and at sometime the module was replaced. It has 2006 on it but I hope that was when the module was made and not for a 2006.
How do you get the hard codes erased? I heard it was cheaper to do it that way instead of buying a new one.
If the module was not damaged you should not have to replace it. I did two rebuilders for our kids last year with both having airbags deployed. Other than the airbags, I had to replace the clockspring on one of them, which is behind the steering wheel. Not real hard but a learning thing.
Ok, done all of that already. Something strange happened today the light didn't stay on.

How do you get the hard codes erased? I heard it was cheaper to do it that way instead of buying a new one.

Ok, done all of that already. Something strange happened today the light didn't stay on. CAl

Call it elfin magic. Probably what happened was there were enough cycles of the ignition on and off to reset it. If not, about any scanner should clear the codes. I have not had ''hard' codes to deal with. If you need that, there are several companies that do it. It is about 50/60 for each one to reset or rebuild.

Ok, done all of that already. Something strange happened today the light didn't stay on.

Call it elfin magic. Probably what happened was there were enough cycles of the ignition on and off to reset it. If not, about any scanner should clear the codes. I have not had ''hard' codes to deal with. If you need that, there are several companies that do it. It is about 50/60 for each one to reset or rebuild.
Ok thanks for the info. My aunt said she had problems with it before the accident my mom had. She said she had it fixed twice but the issue came back.

I'm unsubscribing to this thread
The answer to fix the codes and sensors has been given a few times
Good luck yall

Back