99 Explorer charcoal canister bracket. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer charcoal canister bracket.

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
Just as an FYI to anyone in the rust belt states where your state uses a lot of salt on the roads in the winter that has the charcoal canister bracket above the spare tire rusted away like is the case on my wife's 99 Explorer Sport. I found a 2000 in my local pick n' pull & it had a plastic bracket instead of the metal one. Just make sure you soak the bolts very good with rust bust because it will break the bracket where the snap clip slips on that the retainer bolt goes through to hold it to the frame. I have to repair one of the bolt hole areas on the bracket with a piece of metal strapping which I will epoxy in place. I will post pics before & after the repair for anyone interested.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good find, that is one thing I wish Dorman would make.

Update; I puled down the spare tire on my wife's 99 Sport to get a good look at the charcoal canister bracket & it looks to be in bad shape, one bolt came out & the other two the bolt heads just rounded off when trying to loosen them. One of the bolts is not doing anything since that part of the bracket is rusted clean through, but I still need to get it out so I can bolt up the plastic bracket. What I found our 99 Explorer the metal charcoal canister bracket bolts from the bottom, & the 2000 Explorer with the plastic bracket bolts from the top. I took a cordless drill with me when I removed it from the truck along with a hole saw large enough for the socket to fit through & drilled holes in the floor of the doaner truck to get access to the bolts. I had to repair 2 of the attaching holes on the plastic bracket because the metal clips just ripped out of the plastic when trying to remove the bolts. Here is my repair on one side, I have to get more 2 part epoxy to do the other side. To repair the holes I used the angle iron with all the holes in it & cut a couple pieces as needed to repair the bracket. You can get the angle iron from Lowes or Home Depot.

58206-6-16-18-repaired-charcoal-canister-plastic-bracket.jpg

58207-6-16-18-repaired-plastic-charcoal-canister-bracket.jpg

58208-6-16-18-plastic-charcoal-canister-bracket-2000-explorer.jpg

Excellent, good work. That reminds me to look for that bracket here, when I go see a 2000 Mountaineer to get the roof rack from. I'll see what it takes to get at that and remove it. I'm taking my impact driver to loosen the rack screws/bolts, the right tool is important at a JY.

I have the plastic bracket on my 97 sport ( Vader) and i got one last week for the 98 xlt in my shop rt now . 00/01 is also a different front gas tank mount for anyone doing a 4406 swap

It looks sort of like if someone cuts the metal reinforcement to fit as well as you did, that it might even work without the epoxy... just be more of a pain to hold it in place when fastening it down?

I'm wondering if it might work to just use a stack of two fender washers, maybe grind straight the side of the washers facing the bracket so larger washers would fit.

here are some pics of these parts , im doing it rt now on my 98 xlt , pile of what was left of the metal one , plastic one from a 2000 , and the perfect tool for this kind of crap lol, also including the gas tank mount i mentioned

IMG_20180621_170247_263.jpg

IMG_20180621_170259_026.jpg

IMG_20180621_170320_198.jpg

IMG_20180620_211449_126.jpg

Today in my wife's 99 Sport I replaced the badly rusted metal charcoal canister bracket with a plastic one I got from a 2000 Explorer 4 door in the JY.
Rusted metal bracket,
58389-7-29-18-old-metal-charcoal-canister-bracket-1-2-rusted-away.jpg

Plastic replacement bracket,
58208-6-16-18-plastic-charcoal-canister-bracket-2000-explorer.jpg

Replacement plastic bracket installed,
58390-7-29-18-replacement-plastic-charcoal-canister-bracket-removed-2000-4-door-explorer-jy.jpg

Do they have plastic canister brackets that would fit a. 1999 Ranger. I tied mine on with some stainless steel wire.

Junk yard is best bet

Back