99 explorer idle issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer idle issues

Cylinder 5 spark plug

20210206_130818.jpg

20210206_130824.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks bro nice truck love the supercharger that helps a lot I'll be checking all of that once this winter storm goes past

The first video is before the short drive
this video is after the drive

Have you replaced your upper and lower intake gaskets
Your fuel trims are a bit off
Looks like a vacuum leak to me

Smoke test maybe

Smoke test maybe
upper and lower intake gaskets were replaced in November

Smoke test maybe
What's the cheapest way to do a smoke test?

The first video is before the short drive
this video is after the drive

Look at the long term fuel trim, Bank 2 is still really lean. You can also use a propane enrichment tool to check for vacuum leaks. Pinch off the vacuum lines one at a time to check for leaks. Also check the pvc valve and make sure there's not a leak in the crankcase emissions.

I'm starting to believe it's the crankcase breather box under the manifold

One of my very good friends is from Huntsville Alabama
An old war vet

Hello guys I have a 99 explorer 4.0 SOHC that is having some weird idle issues it idles way too low like around 400 to 500 RPM and I have replaced the IAC Valve DPFE Sensor TPS sensor and cleaned the MAF I've also replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter along with the intake manifold gaskets

99% of idle issues are either vacuum leaks in one of the fuel system air hoses if the fault is uneven, or the engine control module if it's static. I'd get a can of spay-start and carefully and sparingly, spray a whiff of it around anything that looks like a vacuum hose. If the idle goes up suddenly, bingo. If not I'd swap the module for one with the same numbers on it, from a junkyard. Has to be a million of them out there. Good luck.

No doubt -

I didn't know if it was your Ex or a customer's ride.

Yeah - $30 VS $7 - that's a no brainer in my book - given Stant has always worked for me.

That sound you hear is me knock on wood :thumbsup:.

PS - Gates for hoses -
On my 96 I had a very subtle vacuum leak on the egr tube where it meets the intake. Mine's an ohv engine. You sound like you have 10 time the knowledge I do of how to test and read the computer diagnostics. Really. Impressive. Just saying I had very similar issues when I re-did my top end---that damn gasket, aftermarket gasket, etc that stops vacuum leak at egr tube to intake was crap. I finally got it right (with a little extra silicone or aircraft glue-can't remember) but that's where my leak was. I replaced everything you did too including fuel injectors (however my first amazon DPFE was crap and failed in 3 months-but it threw a code- unlike yours).

I didn't know that a simple propane tool now cost $100+
Here is a long winded video on how to make your own.

Using this tool and monitoring short term fuel trim is the best way to find even the smallest of leaks.

I didn't know that a simple propane tool now cost $100+
Here is a long winded video on how to make your own.

www.youtube.com › watch
DIY Vacuum Leak Detector With Propane - YouTube

Using this tool and monitoring short term fuel trim is the best way to find even the smallest of leaks.
Link don't work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick question, what is the name of the software you are running on your laptop, and how are you sending the OBDII signal over?
Thanks and good luck with the idle issue.

Back