99 explorer lean codes after new pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer lean codes after new pump

Ruben9237

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
Hey everyone I don’t know if I’m in the right forum for this but I have a question about my 99 explorer xlt,it was having a hard time starting we’re i would have to cycle the key to get it to turn on so I thought I could be the fuel pump.i changed the fuel pump and the gas tank sensor broke so I bought a new one now everything is done it’s starting harder and throwing lean codes I just ordered new fuel filter and the mesh filter in the tank,any suggestions?

is this a 4.0 SOHC truck?

How many miles?

What brand pump did you install? new filter and strainer too?

Lean codes on a 99 SOHC engine = po171 and 174 = intake plenum O ring air leaks

Hey everyone I don’t know if I’m in the right forum

Close but not quite unless you have modified this from a stock configuration, which adding the right/compatible part wouldn't be.

for this but I have a question about my 99 explorer xlt,it was having a hard time starting we’re i would have to cycle the key to get it to turn on so I thought I could be the fuel pump.

Certainly possible but it would have been best to then, and now, get a fuel pressure reading. Various auto parts stores have a loaner tool to do this. Does the problem consistently happen every time you try to start it or become better or worse when the engine is warmed up?

i changed the fuel pump and the gas tank sensor broke so I bought a new one now everything is done it’s starting harder and throwing lean codes I just ordered new fuel filter and the mesh filter in the tank,any suggestions?

Unless the fuel lines to the filter are so badly rusted that you don't dare touch them for fear of causing a leak (and then replacing them is due eventually), it is a good idea to replace the filter with the pump, and the mesh filter in the tank (aka sock) should be replaced with the pump. This assumes they are several years old, if you were going through generic pumps once every couple years then the (two year old) filter is probably fine still, but an original, ~22 year old factory filter is due for replacement.

I'd still get the fuel pressure reading since you have recently worked on that, and if it is high enough, then hook up an OBD2 scan tool and look for trouble codes (which lean codes are you getting?) and if capable of live data, look at the long term fuel trims while the engine is running. If it is lean or significantly corrected (more fuel added) then you probably have a vac leak, but in theory I suppose it's possible to have a little low fuel pressure and cause that?

The upper intake gaskets (o-rings) are a very common cause of vac leaks but you didn't mention which engine you have, presumably the SOHC 4.0L?

I agree 110%
If you just changed the fuel pump and now have lean codes, first thing to do is check fuel rail pressure
Many things can go wrong during pump install that can cause loss of pressure
new pumps have been bad right out of the box
So a fuel PSI test can eliminate the new pump as the issue

Back