99 explorer limited. Dome lights won't shut off! No ajar light! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer limited. Dome lights won't shut off! No ajar light!

Reaction score
City, State
Berea Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Well guys as the title says I have a 99 explorer limited with 83k miles. The dome lights will not shut off! I know all about the ajar problem ( have had 6 explorers) and this is not it! I tried a new dimmer switch ( doesn't do anything at all. Can't turn on or off or nothing ) no matter what I do they won't **** off. Any help would be appreciated I tried swapping relays also

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know for sure the door ajar bulb is working? I would open one door at a time and see if the signal is beeping.

If I'm not mistaken fuse 27 should turn them off if you pull it. Or you could pull the bulbs until it's resolved.

Do you know for sure the door ajar bulb is working? I would open one door at a time and see if the signal is beeping.

If I'm not mistaken fuse 27 should turn them off if you pull it. Or you could pull the bulbs until it's resolved.

Yes they all chime and light goes on and off when you open and close them and it's fuse 26 I've had it pulled lol. But no windows!

I had a similar problem with our '93 Aerostar on several occasions. Extremely infuriating to put it mildly. If I remember correctly, the rear hatch was the culprit. It looked to be shut tight, but wasn't turning the light off. Slamming it shut turned off the lights. I think. It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure that was the fix.

The hatch and back glass are shutting fine and the vehicle recognizes that. ( ajar light goes on whn opened and chimes for both and ***** off when shut)

my '01 xlt would do this occasionally. it turned out to be the lift-gate. it seemed to be closed/latched, but if you opened it and closed it again (firmly) the lights would go off. if you have the key fob remote and push the lock button twice, how many times does the horn chirp? once is normal, twice means it thinks somethings open.

if all else checks out, maybe it's your dimmer switch.

Replaced the dimmer switch. The truck knows all the doors are shut and latched. It has nothing to do with that, that's why it's so confusing It beeps once recognizing everything is shut

Replaced the dimmer switch. The truck knows all the doors are shut and latched. It has nothing to do with that, that's why it's so confusing It beeps once recognizing everything is shut

does your truck have the "battery saver" feature? it's supposed to turn off the interior lights after between 10-40 minutes. i was thinking maybe that relay is stuck in the on position.

does your truck have the "battery saver" feature? it's supposed to turn off the interior lights after between 10-40 minutes. i was thinking maybe that relay is stuck in the on position.

Not sure about that. I haven't left them on long enough. Ill try that out

Not sure about that. I haven't left them on long enough. Ill try that out

your missing my point, it would nothing to so with you having left them on. my point is there is a relay (under the dash i believe) that has a time-delay feature. it turns off the interior lights to prevent the battery from going dead. i could be wrong, but there's also something (GEM maybe) that tells this relay to turn off. i've noticed that when i get in my '01 Ex at night, the interior lights stay on, for maybe 10 seconds, until i insert and turn the ignition key (i guess that's supposed to help you find where to put the key).

I just remembered something that happened last summer. We had a day that was near 100 and this problem happened to me. After it cooled down it was fine, but when it was staying on I could hear a relay making a light clicking sound.

Alright the relay is functioning as it should. The dimmer switch dims the dash lights and everything as it should. But when you slide it all the way up till it clicks the outside mirror light ***** off. But in any other position it's on. And the running lights shut off once the door is closed as it should. Anyone have a wiring diagram of the iterior some lights to see where they run?

Thanks for that diagram ill check it out later. I put another gem in with no luck. The relay is getting power from something telling it to stay on. I tried replacing it. I also hooked up my friends scanner and it shows all doors as being shut. I'm lost

The same thing happened to me. Check the post your rear lift gate latches to. There should be a plastic white sleeve around it. If its cracked or missing it causes the lights to stay on.

Back