99 explorer o/d light flashing

philsford

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
91, Explorer
Hi
I am looking at buying a 99 explorer, the guy who is selling it has had the transmission rebuilt 7000 km's ago, it drove Ok on the test drive. The thing is he said that the overdrive light came on flashing a couple of times since the transmission was rebuilt but if he stopped the car switched off the ignition and started it back up the light went off. He also said he took it back to the transmission place and they said there were no codes and the transmission was fine, it was a sensor on top of the transmission and would have to drop the transmission to fix it.
Does this sound right?

Thanks for your help,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be a sensor, but even if it is the sensor I would imagine there should still be a code when hooked up to a scanner, even if it is a code to say faulty sensor.

Thanks. I spoke to then again and they called the transmission place and they was told it is likely a senor or connection. If it is a sensor and it fails will that effect how it drives, I'm guessing it would.

That I really couldnt say with any certainty.

It could be a sensor, but even if it is the sensor I would imagine there should still be a code when hooked up to a scanner, even if it is a code to say faulty sensor.

The computer has no way of detecting a failed sensor. The one in question compares the speed of the transmission input shaft to that of the engine. It's purpose is to determine whether the Torque Converter Clutch is operating properly. In this case, failure of the TCC to engage is almost not noticeable by the driver.

I would take the vehicle out on level road, get up to cruising speed about 55mph, steady speed, not accelerating or decelerating, SLIGHTLY increase pressure on the gas pedal while watching the tachometer. If it immediately indicates an increase in engine speed, the TCC has not engaged.

If that is the case, the vehicle can be driven without the feature of a locked torque converter as long as desired, losing a few percent of fuel economy. imp

Back