'99 Explorer - rear washer pump location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Explorer - rear washer pump location

andon_ca

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Limited
Could anyone tell me where the rear window washer pump is located? I have just purchased the truck and checked the rear window washer. Initially I could hear the pump but no washer fluid was coming out. I later found a kink in the hose near the wiper. I fixed it but now I don't hear the pump anymore and I am afraid that I have blown it..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should be on the left side in the cargo area behind the pannel. The filler is in the door jam on the left side just above the brake light.

It should be on the left side in the cargo area behind the pannel. The filler is in the door jam on the left side just above the brake light.

Uuuuh, no... Not on a 99.

The rear washer fluid is supplied by the same pump that supplies the front. Power is supplied to the pump via BK/W and DG wires. It spins one direction to feed the front wipers, and the other direction to feed the rears. You should see a change in polarity between the two when feeding the front versus the rear.

If one's not working, check the apropriate relay in relay box #1 under the hood behind the passenger side headlight assembly. (One relay is for the front, one is for the rear).... The power is triggered by one relay and grounded through the other relay, so either one could be sticking or not bing triggered at the apropriate time.

-Joe

Thanks Joe I really appreciate the info. Is this a case then, of having to replace one of the relays?

Depends... The motor could not want to run in the other direction for some reason too... The place to start checking would be at the connector for the washer pump. Pull the connector off, and check for continuity to ground through both of the pins. If you have a pin that's not grounded, that'll tell us which relay is sticking or worn out. If both pins ground, we need to check for power alternately from one lead then the other to see if a relay isn't closing. Again, you should have power on one pin for the front, and power to the other for the rear.

Or, you could pick up one relay and alternately try swapping out the two of them until it works, but that's kind of working blind. I personally prefer to verify the problem before throwing (non-refundable) parts at it.

I am having this same problem now too. The pump was working fine when I was driving home... then the next time I tried to use it (like 3 minutes later) it wouldn't work. I tried a new pump motor and a new turnsignal/washer assembly on the inside... neither of which worked. Now I am starting in on the relays.

Did you ever get your fixed Andon?

HA!! nevermind. I fixed the problem I was having with the front washer pump. I located the front passenger side relay pack with the help of some postings here and pulled the front washer pump relay. I swapped it with the rear washer pump relay and the front washer worked. I then looked at the supposedly bad relay I pulled out and noticed a tad bit of corrosion/oxidation on the prongs. I then proceeded to take an emeryboard and give it a slight sanding. Plugged it back into it's origional location and presto... worked like a champ.

Thanks for all of your guidence people. I joined the site and will be comming back for any future questions or problems I may run into.

FYI... I was also able to locate the trailer light plug behind the driver side rear taillight with your guidence as well... SKOL!!

DJBurnout
'99 Explorer Sport

BTW... this little truck is a beast. We had a Blizzard here a week ago... you know.. the one that collapsed the Metrodome.. and I had to go out in it cause friends were calling me asking to help get them unstuck. I made it through 5' drifts and plowings with ease, didn't get stuck 1 single time and pulled out 14 stuck vehicles with my lil' sport. :)

BTW... this little truck is a beast. We had a Blizzard here a week ago... you know.. the one that collapsed the Metrodome.. and I had to go out in it cause friends were calling me asking to help get them unstuck. I made it through 5' drifts and plowings with ease, didn't get stuck 1 single time and pulled out 14 stuck vehicles with my lil' sport. :)

That would of been fun to watch as DJBurnout saves the day!! :thumbsup:

Thats awesome... I have the towstrap in the truck now, looking forward to the first Jeep rescue... :D

:D Boy, I sure miss no longer having those opportunities to rescue people from snowdrifts - NOT!!!

@DJBurnout, I've got a 97 Limited 4x4. Not a lot of snow out here in Silicon Valley, but I am heading to MN later this week... not expecting much snow :^) . How did you get the box containing the relay to open? I think I see it under the air cleaner.. thanks

@DJBurnout, I've got a 97 Limited 4x4. Not a lot of snow out here in Silicon Valley, but I am heading to MN later this week... not expecting much snow :^) . How did you get the box containing the relay to open? I think I see it under the air cleaner.. thanks
Your relay box isn’t up near the battery?

Also, I wouldn’t count on an answer from DJBurnout, as he hasn’t been online in over 8 years.

Thank you. It may actually be up near the battery... That's where I thought it's supposed to be... But I didn't see anything near the battery that looked like the box. I did see something that looks like a relay box buried inconveniently under the air cleaner box... I'm guessing I'm just wrong.

Can you please provide more guidance on where the relay box near the battery is? Do you having a picture?

Thanks again

I don’t have my truck with me. It’s a covered black rectangle between the battery and cowl.

Hi @Mbrooks420 just got back from travel and took a picture under my hood. Is the relay box right in front of my face and I'm just missing it? thanks!

explorer relay.jpg

btw, I'm looking for relay box #2, which is where I thought the washer relay is, and I thought was supposed to be on the passenger side. There's another box on the driver side next to the Power Distribution box on the driver side, but I think the relays in there are for the ABS...

thanks again

although i didn't find the relay, I was able to fix the washer by using the trick recommended by someone who suggested all I had to do what to move the mulit-function switch up and down while pushing in repeatedly on the washer button. I don't know why that worked, but it did!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually the harnesses come partially unplugged. I’ve fixed them before by zip tying them together.

Back