• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer sport "Ticking noise"

S9ecia7k

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer 4.0
hello everyone! I'm sort of new here! Well anyway I have a 99 explorer sport 2wd, I have this nasty ticking noise, no idea where it is coming from, it almost sounds as if it is coming from the coil pack. Now I'm not sure if the coil pack will make that noise. The LOUD ticking/knocking noise will be there until it is fully warmed up. I have just noticed this after I dropped my fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump yesterday. And yes there is oil in there lol for those that are going to ask. But yea the loud noise is there until it's warm, no loss of power just annoying. I know it's due for a spark plug change and maybe wires. But I just cannot figure out the cause of it, any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In addition when the fuel pump went bad obviously I had to change it out well someone had put about 4 gallons of mixed gasoline with what appears to be two-stroke oil. Now I don't know if that had something to do with it but I figured I would add it to my post

It might help if you recorded a video of it with your phone moving around to see where it's getting louder. Besides that, TBT mentioned one of the more likely issues if it's the SOHC engine. You might pull the oil pan to see if there are chunks of plastic in it.

SOHC? Probably the timing chain. Pull the valve cover and make sure the cassette isnt shattered.

I was half asleep when I wrote this it isn't the SOHC . IT doesn't have the chains . The sound is definatelt coming from the motor area, when I took the oil cap off the sound was emitting from there .

It might help if you recorded a video of it with your phone moving around to see where it's getting louder. Besides that, TBT mentioned one of the more likely issues if it's the SOHC engine. You might pull the oil pan to see if there are chunks of plastic in it.

As I posted in another comment. It isn't the sohc it doesn't have the chains. I was half asleep. The noise is definatelt coming from inside the oil cap. Could the pump be bad?

If the pump was bad you should get a low oil pressure warning light. Most often a sound like you describe is noisy lifters. Have you owned it for a while and it just started doing this or is the vehicle new to you, has always done this? Some sound from them is normal, especially with some wear on the pushrods and rocker arms. You could try a lighter weight oil, especially synthetic for better cold flow, but then you'll have worse hot weather protection from the thinner oil film.

Not knowing how bad it is nor if it has gotten worse in your presence, some have had a similar noise and kept driving like that for another 100K mi before they sold it, or still own it. Of course some problems leading to failure will make noise too, up to you whether to consider replacing lifters, then whether the pushrods and rocker arms too.

Back