Wanted - 99 Explorer Tailgate Help and Question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted 99 Explorer Tailgate Help and Question?

Parts or services wanted

maxcr3

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I backed into a truck bumper and dented the tailgate on my 99 explorer XLT. I did not break any glass and the wiper still works but the damage is bad enough I need to replace the whole gate. What years will fit my 99 XLT?

If anyone has any leads on used tailgates, I would appreciate the help. I’ll take with or without the glass and hardware. I found the perfect gate on craigslist in Texas. I live in Pennsylvania which is a little far to run for the tailgate!

I am searching the salvage yards. They ether don’t have it or they want a weeks pay to get it in.

Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'98-01. There may be minor wiring changes between years but thats nothing you can't solve using your original parts.

I was going to replace my '96 hatch with a 98-01 a while back. The salvage yard insisted that a '98 was not the same as a '00. So be prepared for that. :D

Are you trying to match the color? If so, that will certainly narrow your possbilities.

Back