99 Explorer Trailer Wiring Harness Question | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

99 Explorer Trailer Wiring Harness Question

I'll be towing an 18' Ranger fishing boat in a few weeks and need to make sure my 99 XLS can connect to the trailer's wiring harness. The pic below is what I found under the driver's side tail light. 8 positions, 4 positions populated. Assuming the small trailer (w/o brakes) has the standard 4-pin connector, where can a find a conversion cable? My connector doesn't look like the 7-pin connectors I've been seeing in this forum. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan

img0900wp4.jpg

<

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
It all depends on what plug your boat has and whether or not it has brakes.

I am assuming not, so based on that, you need a 4 flat harness. You can get one from Ford or other parts stores- it just plugs right in, no wiring. I would clean your contacts before I put it in though.

The 7 pin plugs are generally RV plugs or for trailers with electric brakes.

<

GopherBaroque

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 2D 4WD
I removed the rear bumper from my 95 2Dr to paint it to match my new front winch bumper (RLC Welding). Here is a picture of the wiring behind it, my trailer connector is on the passenger's side:
picture.php

<

martin123

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
All boat trailers are suppose to be 4 pin. Because the trailer goes into the water when launching the boat it does not have electric brakes. Instead of electric brakes it should have surge brakes. Hope this helps.

<