99 Explorer Trailer Wiring Harness Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Trailer Wiring Harness Question

I'll be towing an 18' Ranger fishing boat in a few weeks and need to make sure my 99 XLS can connect to the trailer's wiring harness. The pic below is what I found under the driver's side tail light. 8 positions, 4 positions populated. Assuming the small trailer (w/o brakes) has the standard 4-pin connector, where can a find a conversion cable? My connector doesn't look like the 7-pin connectors I've been seeing in this forum. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan

img0900wp4.jpg

It all depends on what plug your boat has and whether or not it has brakes.

I am assuming not, so based on that, you need a 4 flat harness. You can get one from Ford or other parts stores- it just plugs right in, no wiring. I would clean your contacts before I put it in though.

The 7 pin plugs are generally RV plugs or for trailers with electric brakes.

I removed the rear bumper from my 95 2Dr to paint it to match my new front winch bumper (RLC Welding). Here is a picture of the wiring behind it, my trailer connector is on the passenger's side:
picture.php

All boat trailers are suppose to be 4 pin. Because the trailer goes into the water when launching the boat it does not have electric brakes. Instead of electric brakes it should have surge brakes. Hope this helps.

Back