99 explorer v6 Cat glowing red hot only after putting in drive in a couple min | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer v6 Cat glowing red hot only after putting in drive in a couple min

What was the outcome?

Curious...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So far there has not been as soon as I find the time I'm going to replace the entire exhaust I'm going to take off my muffler before just see if maybe something has it clogged in there and keep working my way till it's completely off. Will keep in touch to share the outcome

So far there has not been as soon as I find the time I'm going to replace the entire exhaust I'm going to take off my muffler before just see if maybe something has it clogged in there and keep working my way till it's completely off. Will keep in touch to share the outcome

I had a cheap-ass Midas muffler break internally and block the exhaust on a mini-van once. The engine would not pull above an idle and if you put your hand over the exhaust almost nothing was coming out, so it happens. Curious to see what you find.

Me too. I'm thinking that's not the issue cause is blowing out pretty good while I'm idle. And even now after all I have done I even went ahead and cut holes in my cats and pulled everything out of them. Figured since I was replacing them what would it hurt. But it seems like whatever the problem was I corrected and I am assuming I caused the problem somewhere between pulling the tranny and replacing the wires and plugs. But I can only hope when I replace the exhaust system it the problem is gone. Will keep an update until all is said and done

And even now after all I have done I even went ahead and cut holes in my cats and pulled everything out of them. Figured since I was replacing them what would it hurt. But it seems like whatever the problem was I corrected and I am assuming I caused the problem somewhere between pulling the tranny and replacing the wires and plugs.

So you are saying it does run better?

Me too. I'm thinking that's not the issue cause is blowing out pretty good while I'm idle. And even now after all I have done I even went ahead and cut holes in my cats and pulled everything out of them. Figured since I was replacing them what would it hurt. But it seems like whatever the problem was I corrected and I am assuming I caused the problem somewhere between pulling the tranny and replacing the wires and plugs. But I can only hope when I replace the exhaust system it the problem is gone. Will keep an update until all is said and done

One thing it could hurt is scrap value. I've never tried to sell an Explorer cat, but a few years back I got over $200 at a junkyard for one half rusted off an '88 Oldsmobile. Granted it was larger and over the years they've gotten better at thinly depositing less of the precious metals. Ironically at the time I MADE money replacing the cat on that vehicle as a new replacement universal cat was around $70 IIRC.

Well I can't say for certain but later today I will know for sure fixing to weld the holes back closed here in just a few. Letting some rtv high temp sit on the outside to seal the metal and cats before I weld.i do have a couple pics of the plastic cover on top was wondering if these are normal are they casting Mark's or are they hair line fractures as soon as I figure how to post them i will immediately

Well I can't say for certain but later today I will know for sure fixing to weld the holes back closed here in just a few. Letting some rtv high temp sit on the outside to seal the metal and cats before I weld.i do have a couple pics of the plastic cover on top was wondering if these are normal are they casting Mark's or are they hair line fractures as soon as I figure how to post them i will immediately

What was the catalytic converter internal media/honeycomb like when you opened up the cat to remove it?

It was like a charred honeycomb. There was a wire running through with the mesh and honey comb it was burnt pretty bad along with the honey comb. It didn't take much to crumble. I have these pics of the top of the engine the plastic cover. I'm trying to figure out if these are casting marks or if they are hair line cracks. I was up there trying to get my big hands down to the wires and maybe my weight put these there or is it normal for these covers to have cast Marks? Towards the fire Wall one on top of the cover and about timing along the back side. I keep hearing what sounds like air being sucked our blowed but for the life of me can not find anything. I have tried wd40 , smoke and the good old hose to my ear?

story.php

Didn't come through.

Not for me at least.

Yea I'm sorry I'm having issues I wish I could post it but have not figured it out. I even tried to join elite but apparently my bank and pay pal don't get along. My email is donnie.price60@Yahoo. Com would really appreciate it if I could send them to you and get your info.

Back