99 explorer woes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer woes

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited
Hello I have posted topics 2 months ago asking about a tune-up and I'm still on schedule to have one, but I have another problem that is bugging me and that is with my gear selector.

For starter's I have a 99 explorer limited auto trans 2wd 5.0 v8 about 145,230k miles and early in the morning and through-out the day when I put my gear in reverse, my truck does this squeek sound as soon as the gear catches. The truck also has a small jerk once it catches too. What is weird is that the truck drives fine while in drive, 2nd and 1st gear. This symptom only happens when I put the gear selector into reverse and going into another gear from reverse. I have tried to replicate the sound from going to neutral, drive, 2nd, 1st and back to neutral. The sound and jerk doesn't happen, only when I select reverse. I have checked the trans fluid and its the red/pink color like its suppose to be. If it's just that I need to add some more fluid to the trans, how would I go upon doing that if that is the problem?

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: I do not have any tranny slippage while driving, no check engine light and I haven't had a tranny flush since december 2008.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello I have posted topics 2 months ago asking about a tune-up and I'm still on schedule to have one, but I have another problem that is bugging me and that is with my gear selector.

For starter's I have a 99 explorer limited auto trans 2wd 5.0 v8 about 145,230k miles and early in the morning and through-out the day when I put my gear in reverse, my truck does this squeek sound as soon as the gear catches. The truck also has a small jerk once it catches too. What is weird is that the truck drives fine while in drive, 2nd and 1st gear. This symptom only happens when I put the gear selector into reverse and going into another gear from reverse. I have tried to replicate the sound from going to neutral, drive, 2nd, 1st and back to neutral. The sound and jerk doesn't happen, only when I select reverse. I have checked the trans fluid and its the red/pink color like its suppose to be. If it's just that I need to add some more fluid to the trans, how would I go upon doing that if that is the problem?

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: I do not have any tranny slippage while driving, no check engine light and I haven't had a tranny flush since december 2008.

I'm thinking U-joints by your description. Easy, cheap and a good DIY job.

I'm thinking U-joints by your description. Easy, cheap and a good DIY job.

Thanks for the good advice and I searched for U-joints threads and I found Turdle's explanation and write-up.

Thanks again:cool:

*EDIT* Can I order the U-joints on Rock Auto? and if so, what category do I look under on Rock Auto?

I found the U-joints on Rock Auto:D I didn't know they were that cheap. I just want to know what brand to buy that will not fail and to get Greased or non greased. One other question I have is do I need to replace CV joints too or is that only for 4wd trucks?

Thanks again.

I found the U-joints on Rock Auto:D I didn't know they were that cheap. I just want to know what brand to buy that will not fail and to get Greased or non greased. One other question I have is do I need to replace CV joints too or is that only for 4wd trucks?

Thanks again.

Without the need to drive steerable wheels, you'll find no CV joints in a 2WD '99 Explorer.

- Chris

Without the need to drive steerable wheels, you'll find no CV joints in a 2WD '99 Explorer.

- Chris

Ok thanks. I'm going to buy the Precision Universal Joint Greaseable Super Strength Part #270 on Rock Auto. I have read that the transmission U-joint is a different part number than the rear axle one. The Trans one is named A1 and the Rear is A2. How do I tell the difference?

Thanks.

You're best bet is to just go to Autozone and tell them you need a rear u-joint for a 99 2wd 5.0 explorer.

I used duralast rear u-joints on my 98 Mountaineer, and I think I paid $6 for one u-joint.

You're best bet is to just go to Autozone and tell them you need a rear u-joint for a 99 2wd 5.0 explorer.

I used duralast rear u-joints on my 98 Mountaineer, and I think I paid $6 for one u-joint.

I think I used NAPA parts and they were close to that price. No matter which brand, I think you'll be A-OK.

Ok I got the new U-joints installed on the front and rear and my truck is still making that clunking sound. I don't know where to go from here now:( Well at least I have some new U-joints:(.

Back