• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer won't start

Staciss

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer
my son was driving his 99 explorer and it died on him going down the road. We towed it home and now it won't start. Husband thinks fuel pump may be going and needs to know if he can test the fuel pressure without the car running. It has a new starter and battery. Alternator is good. I think it could be the crank sensor not the fuel pump. Suggestions? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first check for the fuel pump is to turn the key to the run position and listen for the hum of the electric fuel pump. You should hear it for just a second or two then it should shut off.

If the pump is running you can check the pressure at the fuel injector rail. There is a fitting that looks like a tire valve on there. Autozone, O'Reillys etc has the gauge you need to test it with. Using a regular pressure gauge will most likely cause fuel to spray, and ruin the gauge.

Just to be sure, what is the thief light status in the dashboard when you put the ignition key in the on position?

Is there a check engine light? Diagnostic tool will tell you exactly what the problem is. If you don't have one, I know Autozone and Oreilly will do it for free.

Sincerely,
Captain Obvious

My husband sprayed starter fluid in it and it started but ran rough for a few minutes with foot on gas pedal but as soon as foot came off it died.

Is there a check engine light? Diagnostic tool will tell you exactly what the problem is. If you don't have one, I know Autozone and Oreilly will do it for free.

Sincerely,
Captain Obvious
It does have a check engine light but can't get it running long enough to check. Got it started using starter fluid but as soon as foot came off gas pedal it died

Should be able to just turn the key partway and check it without the engine running. If not, check your battery and make sure the negative/positive terminals have a good connection.

I have a 2000 Explorer and the fuel pump died a while back. Listening for the sound is good but it may need to be very quiet wherever you are doing that. You can also locate the fuel rail on top of the engine and press the valve after cranking to see if any fuel comes out - easy to tell if there is pressure there. Obviously, don't do this with a hot engine or cigarette in your mouth. I had never changed a fuel pump, but did it successfully a few months ago.

Back