99 Explorer XLT 2wd wheel and tire sizes without lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer XLT 2wd wheel and tire sizes without lift

EchoTwo

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
Hey, sorry if this is somewhere else I'm still new.

I would like to know what wheel and tire I could fit without rubbing on a stock Explorer and no lift.

I dont' know for sure what the ride height on a 2wd is compared to a 4wd but I would think a 30 to 31 inch would fit. if the 31 rubbed it would only probably be on the very inner part of the wheel well by the frame. thats assuming with a 7 inch wide wheel with factory backspacing.

I've never had anything bigger then a 235 on my explorers with factory wheels, so maybe someone else will chime in.

Well I should also not I'm not afraid to drive a little rough so i would also worry about going over a bump and grinding the top of the tire. I just want to fill out my wheel well a little bit more

15" wheels can fit up to 31/10.5R15 which is nearly the same as 255/75R16 for 16" wheels.

Some people say that big won't wear evenly. Some say they do. They will cause your speedometer to read a few MPH lower than actual speed, which also falsely calculates out to lower fuel economy, but they will also really achieve a little lower fuel economy.

A little more conservative might be 30/9.5R15 or 255/70R16.

Back