99 Fogs to Hid question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Fogs to Hid question

I have a 1995 explorer, with a bumper swap to a 99. Now this 99 bumper takes H1 bulbs which i'm completely new too. I have done my research but im not sure if this is accurate because i have mixed answers. This is my first car/explorer so im doing as much research as i can before i do any mod.

The 99 explorer has this H1 adapter which i am aware of, and to my understanding a 9006 bulb is just like the same adapter just the bulb is different. To hid terms, The hid bulb (9006) should be able to screw in to my fog lights and lock without a problem. Im not sure how true this is.

I have also read that you may need to drill the inside of the bulb socket to make the new hid fit, but i have also seen posts saying its simple as plug in play.

So is it possible to buy 9006 Hids and have it plug and play to the fog lights?

Also, is their any mod to keep the fog lights on without the headlights being on? i read wiring schematics just i do not understand that fully.
Thanks guys! i appreciate the help :) Heres a picture of my bumper swap if your wondering.
1240220_10200656342950368_1845099580_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the new bumper takes H1 bulbs, you'll need an H1 HID kit. It works by plugging into the actual socket of the H1 bulb, then going to HID Power Box (Simple terms) and going to the HID bulb which would be in the original spot.
The new HID may not fit without some trimming, that's the cutting they're talking about.

I would just confirm if you really have H1 bulbs, I'm not familiar with the Fog light bulb in a 99 bumper.

You could always run the fogs off of a toggle switch.

You could always run the fogs off of a toggle switch.

No reason to run it off a toggle switch if he has the factory hook ups. Lol.

If the new bumper takes H1 bulbs, you'll need an H1 HID kit. It works by plugging into the actual socket of the H1 bulb, then going to HID Power Box (Simple terms) and going to the HID bulb which would be in the original spot.
The new HID may not fit without some trimming, that's the cutting they're talking about.

I would just confirm if you really have H1 bulbs, I'm not familiar with the Fog light bulb in a 99 bumper.

So it should be like plug and play with the new h1s? just some cutting involved. I know with my headlights was plug and play and i bolted the ballast to something. Look at these threads , http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176301 and
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303661

In the first one CobraSVT1184 says
" Everyone, 9006 bulbs will go right into the stock HID houseings without a hitch and do produce a correct light beam. I did this, i had the same problem...ordered the kit in H1s and was screwed...i did a little playing around and found that 9006s work great!"

Then everyone thanked him for the info.I wanna confirm this and know my options.

FROM NOW ON ORDER YOUR FOGLIGHT KITS IN 9006!"

In the 2nd one the dude modified his to fit.

I also do have h1 fogs, their in a weird ford adapter tho.

So it should be like plug and play with the new h1s? just some cutting involved. I know with my headlights was plug and play and i bolted the ballast to something. Look at these threads , http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176301 and
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303661

In the first one CobraSVT1184 says
" Everyone, 9006 bulbs will go right into the stock HID houseings without a hitch and do produce a correct light beam. I did this, i had the same problem...ordered the kit in H1s and was screwed...i did a little playing around and found that 9006s work great!"

Then everyone thanked him for the info.I wanna confirm this and know my options.

FROM NOW ON ORDER YOUR FOGLIGHT KITS IN 9006!"

In the 2nd one the dude modified his to fit.

I also do have h1 fogs, their in a weird ford adapter tho.

Did you ever get it working?

Back