99 Ford Explorer Transmission Stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ford Explorer Transmission Stopped working

Puck326

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
I have a 99 Ford Explorer v6 4.0 SOHC 2WD and the Transmission(5R55E) will not work in any gear. I drove it and every thing was fine. I stopped some where for about hr or so got in started it put it in drive and nothing tried other gears and reverse also nothing. I was told it was possible the tourqe converter or the front pump. I looked into the tranny and found it dont look like it has a front pump, it has a stator instead. So I changed the tourqe converter. Problem not fixed. No the fluid did not look or smell bunt. Level was good before problem. And yes I did fill tranny back up before testing. Also the input shaft looked good

Don't have much help for the 5r55e but have rebuilt a few 4l60e's and 700r's. The stator is inside the torque convertor. You still have to have a pump. I would drop the pan and look to see if it's time for a rebuild. If it was me and I was going for the pump to rebuild, might as well do the whole thing. Should have a test port somewhere on this tranny that you can hook a pressure guage to and check the pump. Maybe someone on hear knows. I'm sure there will be a few specialty tools you will have to get as i did for the 4l60e and 700r but its better than paying $2000 at the tranny shop. I know you probably did but did you look at the shift linkage?

did you get this figured out. i have the same problem. was thinking tranny oil pump?

I think you are going to need to do a pressure test.

Back