99 Ford Explorer Wont Start, Possible PATS Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ford Explorer Wont Start, Possible PATS Problem

FFjohn88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer Ford Exp
Hello everyone, been a long time lurker for my ford when I've had problems, but I'm at my wits end with this.

Last week I disconnected the negative terminal of my battery to reset the check engine light (o2 sensor problem I'm getting fixed soon). Prior to this, the car ran fine, I could start it every single time, no PATS related problems. It's a very dependable car. So after about 10 minutes I reconnect everything and the car won't start.

I turn the key from ON to START and the THEFT light is solid for a few seconds, but this disappeared. I've read the countless other threads about this but can't find a fix.

The thing is, if I play with it (lock all the doors with the remote, then unlock and try to start again) the car WILL start. It's always so random every time I do it it's very unreliable. I have two factory keys that came with the car and both remotes are programmed for the car. Am I missing something here?

The battery finally died on me today. I am disconnecting the negative battery overnight and am gonna try and jump it tomorrow night when my girlfriend gets home.

I just got a job as a firefighter here and am suppose to start soon and this is my only vehicle at the moment. Thanks for your help in advanced guys.

While you you don't say so, it sounds like you might have a battery or alternator going bad. A low/weak battery can cause really strange stuff with the security system. Good luck.

Back