• Register Today It's free!

99 ford SOHC V6 Rattle

fifthave

Reaction score
City, State
Clay Center Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Have been reading on this form about a tension bracket that causes the SOHC V6 engines to rattle. Well I think I got one of those. I have 53,000 miles on the clock. Sometimes when you start it up in the morning is sounds like a converter shield rattling, (I checked that) sometimes it sounds like lifters rattling. checked them also. Then it will not make any nose for a week or so then all of a sudden two or three times in a row. It stops as soon as the motor revs off idle. Is this the famous rattle I am hearing about? What is the recall and how do I find out more about it. My vin number is as follows...

Yep i have been to the local Ford Dealer who just shrugs his shoulders and says...I dunno

IFM2U34E9XZ886190

Thanks in advance for all of the help !!! Randy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like the 00M12 recall. Any Ford dealer should know about this. I have had it done recently on my girl. It only takes about 6 hours for them to do it. If you take it in, also have them to the intake manifold gaskets. This is free also. Ford extended the warantee on these items to 76,000 miles or 7 years.

Randy

I guess a Lincoln Mercury dealer would be just as good?

Their tech's are Ford trained also if I am correct.

Thanks to all who responded about my rattle in sohc V6. I nowhave a copy of re TSB and recall information and am headed to the local Ford Dealership to help the local dealer do their job. It is amazing that you have to do their work for them but then again such is life. I feel better that my engine will not explode any time soon and that the rattle while annoying is nothing serious. I will get it fixed within the next 30 days. Thanks again for the help !! Randy

Don't be surprised if they don't want to do this job. I don't think Ford pays the dealers very much for this work, and the dealers would prefer not to have to do it.

I have had mine done once, and now it is rattling again. I was told that Ford will pay for this to be done again, but the rattle must last for 20-30 seconds on start-up. Mine only last 2-3 seconds, and only does it if it has been sitting for a while.

Good luck with the local Blue Oval con-men.

I was told by ford that mine was done. Whenever mine idles it had a bad tap. Everyone always asks whats wrong with my motor. It's pretty loud. Maybe I'll take it in... maybe I won't. It's still under warranty. ;)

Bah, mine still rattles. If it snaps and my engine dies I will fight Ford tooth and nail since I've actually PAID over a grand to have the timing system completly updated. It is a lost cause, I just chock it up to being a noisy but pretty spunky motor and I plan on leaving it.`

what about this?

My explorer is a '99, but was beyond 76k miles when I bought it! Am I SOL as far as not paying for it? My gf's uncle is a senior salesman for a local Ford dealership, though, (not the same dealer I bought the truck from,) so do you think I may have some hope? I'm conviced this is the same problem I've had. I've replaced upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, and cleaned the IAC valve as well as the TB (yeah yeah the sticker says not to...:confused: ). I really can't afford to pay for the repair myself anyways, and I'd love to get rid of this damn rattle!:shoot:

I have had that rattle for some time now so I bought the tensioner kit, then thought why not stop at the dealer and see what thay say.
Was I suprised when he ran my vin# and asked what I had for mileage (89k).
He said leave it for 3-4 days and thay will take care of it.

Picked it up yesterday it is silent and like new.
I was told they had to replace everything! guides,chains,gears,tensioner and the balence shaft
wiche was not in the recall but thay called ford and were told to replace it.
The slip say's they also checked for oil deprovation and that was ok.
The total bill to me was "0" dollars and to have a nice day!

The service at Ford is top notch in my book!
BTW anyone need a tensioner kit ?

Ed

Do you know the TSB numbers for the work that they did for you?

The paperwork says 01M01 and 01M01Q.
HTH
Ed

I'm on alldatadiy.com, and I can't find 01M01 or 01M01Q. The closest is 00M12 which is for the camshaft chain tensioner and intake manifold gasket. I might also need to have the tranny computer reflashed because now and then it won't downshift from 3rd at a stop sign, etc. When I accelerate away (assuming i stopped:p) it's still in 3rd gear. I've found a TSB about that, too.

I went on alldata.com and they do list the 01M01 but I don't see any thing about a 01M01Q.
Ya got me?

that's because you have a '98. Apparently it wasn't for a '99. alldatadiy is different because you subscribe for your particular model/year/engine, etc.

01M01Q is probably a TSB that requires Ford approval. Maybe the balance shaft that they repalced for no charge, as this is all related the the timing chains,

Back