'99 Full width SAS 44/ 8.8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Full width SAS 44/ 8.8

Well I guess I should do this thread now sense my SAS is done now. Wow never thought I'd say thouse words.

So here's how it turned out.
Flex22.jpg

Here are the spec's

Front Axle
79 Bronco - Dana 44 High Pinion
Yukon 5.13 Gears
BTF 44 cover
Spicer u-joints
Warn Hubs
78 Thunderbird Calipers
Superlift FSB track bar cut down
Custom tie rod's from 1 1/4" DOM, 1/4"wall
Chevy 1 ton TRE's
7* C-wedges (need to go to 4*)
Wild Horse 5.5" Rock Crawler coils
BBCS 15" Shocks
Early Bronco Coil Buckets
Custom 48" long Radius Arms
Modifed Bronco RA mounts
Russell brake lines
First gen Explorer steering box
First gen Explorer steering shaft

Rear Axle
89 Bronco 8.8
Yukon 5.13 gears
BTF 8.8 Cover
Powertrax No-Slip locker
Currie custom disc brake rotors
Explorer disc brakes
BBCS 15" Shocks
Spring over leafs.

Extra's done during swap
Wenco custom rear shaft
Extended Explorer front shaft
1354 Manual T-case
35" Goodyear MT/R's
Bassett Black D-hole Rims

and some highlights pics.

NewFront.jpg

Bumper1.jpg

Flex21.jpg

Shock.jpg

Front_Brakes.jpg

rear_brakes.jpg

trac_bar_bracket.jpg

steering1.jpg

RA_mount2.jpg

flex.jpg

front21.jpg

749escd.jpg

Disc.jpg

nomember.jpg

SASStart.jpg

junk.jpg

and now she is done.

The full write up can be found here

Please feel free to ask any questions ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No replies...sad.

This rig turned out great and after seeing it in action I was very impressed.
Wait until you get a front locker in there, I loved my Aussie locker out at T-haven. Got into a tight spot where I couldn't turn the wheel but I think that would've happened locked or not...hmmm, hydro assist time?:p:

Man, I remember the time we were arguing about getting the same rims. I think you have me beat now. Very nice.

Thanks Guys:thumbsup:

Looks great!

Front_Brakes.jpg

Doesn't look like theres a front driveshaft! However, in the second picture it looks like theres one! Run into some problems or was that just a earlier picture?

-Drew

Very cool. I really like the night shot.

When you stuff the left side of the axle, how close does the pumpkin come to touching anything? Is the steering box or pitnam arm posing a potential contact issue or is everything clear and free of possible obstruction?

Steering Conversion for SAS

Hey all,

I have been doing some research on converting to a solid front. Nobody seems to explain in detail what they do with the rack and pinion setup. Is there a easy way to mount a steering box into a 2000 R&P setup?

A Solid front doesnt use a rack and pinion - you throw it away. You just find a way to connect the old lines into whatever steering box you're using. I used a Toyota box so connecting it to the old lines wasnt plug and play but people using the first generation Explorer box have an easier time.

I get the throwing away of the rack part.

I should have asked my questions differently.

Is there a steering box that will directly bolt up to a 2000 explorer?

that truck is awesome Stic-O nice work.
Hows she holding up?

What is the benefit of using a Bronco 8.8 versus the stock 8.8? I thought they were all the same (width aside.)

What is the benefit of using a Bronco 8.8 versus the stock 8.8? I thought they were all the same (width aside.)

Width & bolt pattern.;) That's pretty much it. Sence I stayed full width in the front, I needed to go full width in the rear. This left me with two options. F150/Bronco 8.8 or a 9 inch. Being that my truck uses the sensor in the pig to work the speedometer, this was a easy choice. This also gave me the same bolt pattern as the front, about the same width, and I could reuse the disc brakes, locker, and BTF cover from my old 8.8.;)

Jamie, Thanks. She is holding up well. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.:thumbsup:

Hey Steve, congrats and can't wait to see it in action. How much would you say it cost you start to finish if you don't mind?

Hey Steve, congrats and can't wait to see it in action. How much would you say it cost you start to finish if you don't mind?

I would say about 4-5k:eek: I'm scared to sit down and add it all up. But that includes tires wheels, man. t-case.

But I know if I didn't do it now it wasn't going to happen for awhile. Wife's want little people...you know?:rolleyes:

Is there a steering box that will directly bolt up to a 2000 explorer?

If you use a 91-94 explorer box with the 91-94 explorer high pressure line, the lines will bolt on no problems

hey im from australia and i am thinking about doin a sas. as i am from australia. i am limited to the diffs of make of 4x4s i can use. as you have used bronco diss/axels they prob would be cheap but here. dont even mention them they are deer and rare and mos of the broncos here are still running. could you recomend anyother types of diff/axels to use. i have done a engine change and i now have a 3L intercooled turbo diesel engine out of a GQ Nissan Patrol. so i was thinking maby i should use the diff off the nssan patrol.; but if there anything else that may match like a hilux maby. could you just tell me some other diff/axel that i could use. thanks

could you just tell me some other diff/axel that i could use. thanks
whats important when looking for a front solid axle is where the differential sits. On Explorers (or at least the ones here in the US), the differential sits on the driver's side. So you need to get an axle that has the differential on the same side. Beside the Bronco axles (as you've mentioned), another popular front axle for Explorers is the Dana 44 model from Jeep Wagoneers and Grand Wagoneers. Just a little over half of the Jeep axle you'll find out there have the diffrenential on the driver's side - but of course the rest have them on the passenger's side (which is useless for Explorers). I don't believe the Hilux front axle will fit in your Explorer as the differential on the Hilux is on the passenger's side. I believe the same is true for the Nissan Patrol - the differential is on the passenger's side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My suggestions would be to see if you could find a Wrangler Rubicon down there, that you could steal a dana 44 out of, or just opt for a dana 30 out of a cherokee for now. I'm sure there are cherokees down there.

Back