'99 Limited - Antenna won't retract..Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Limited - Antenna won't retract..Help

Thallarsen

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Limited AWD
The motor is running fine, no grinding or crunching....the antenna just won't go down.
I assume it's a broken mast/plastic-toothed strip.
Looks like there's a difference between the '98/earlier & '99/later.
Any idea where I can order a replacement mast for a '99 on line?
Can it be replaced from above the fender, or does the whole power unit need to be pulled?

Thanks,
J.P.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i replaced mine from the top..i got a new mast on e-bay for $16..i think there's differance on the 98-up's tho

Anyone Else?

Ak LTD Xplorer,
Thanks for your reply. I saw those masts on eBay...but only for '98/earlier. I'm hoping that I can go from the top, but if there's a difference between the '98/earlier and the '99/later, I don't want to assume that.
Anyone else know the difference & where I can get '99/later masts online?

99 power mast antenna

This might be both our lucky day. . .I just bought a new power antenna from ford for my 99 eddie bauer and when I took it out to start to install it i realized my antenna wasnt power!!!!! now they wont take it back!!! ill make you a real deal on this new antenna mast still in the opened ford plastic. . hehe

bigtime57,
Since my post, I removed the antenna assy. and took apart the drive mechanism to the mast. I found that the nylon toothed 'strip' had broken. I repaired it by melting the two broken pieces together and filing down the melted 'lump'.
So far, it works fine, but I may be on borrowed time (I'm guessing that it broke at a weak point, and it's just a matter of time that it finds another weak point and breaks again.)
What's a 'real deal'? If it's a good enough deal, maybe I'll buy it from you to keep around if/when my mast goes again.

J.P.

99 Antenna

Ill take 10 bucks for it plus shipping. . . im thinking 2- 3 bucks to ship it in a padded envelope.. . Let me know. thanks

Bigtime57,
You have mail.
J.P.

Back