99 Mazda B4000 4x4 automatic has slack in the drive train when you first take off. Any idears what it could be? My mechanic said the drive line is ti | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Mazda B4000 4x4 automatic has slack in the drive train when you first take off. Any idears what it could be? My mechanic said the drive line is ti

Rollo60

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mazda B4000 4x4 SE
99 Mazda B4000 4x4 automatic with slack when you first take off. Feels like a drive line u joint? Any idears?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean by slack, the transmission slips?

99 Mazda B4000 4x4 automatic with slack when you first take off. Feels like a drive line u joint? Any idears?
Transmission is not slipping. It a clunk when you put it in drive and then I don't here or feel it anymore. Thanks for responding.

Driveshaft slip joint

If you have a supercab, check the driveshaft carrier bearing.

When I worked on these new I seem to remember several problems, just don't remember all the details
1. The 2pc driveshafts would wind up or wrap on acceleration from stop, It was a delay in movement, like a high stall torque convertor. The fix was driveshaft replacement. Can't find a TSB for this.
2. Also the slip yoke was causing a noise, click, thump, bump etc.. TSB
4-23-7
Screenshot_20210319-073646_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210319-073649_Drive.jpg

When I worked on these new I seem to remember several problems, just don't remember all the details
1. The 2pc driveshafts would wind up or wrap on acceleration from stop, It was a delay in movement, like a high stall torque convertor. The fix was driveshaft replacement. Can't find a TSB for this.
2. Also the slip yoke was causing a noise, click, thump, bump etc.. TSB
4-23-7
View attachment 328651View attachment 328652
Thanks for the information I appreciate you taking your time to help me. I'll pass this on to my friend/mechanic and ill report back what we find.

Thanks for the information I appreciate you taking your time to help me. I'll pass this on to my friend/mechanic and ill report back what we find.

Check the U-joints as well.

Back