99 Mercury Mountaineer won't start... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Mercury Mountaineer won't start...

Nifty

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cities, Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 99 Mercury Mountaineer. It has a 4.0 liter v6. I havent drove it since the cold snap about 7-8 days ago. Today I went to start it and nothing. Well it sounded similar to my wifes car earlier in the week so I assume it was the battery. Well I ended getting a battery and went replace it and found a new(er) Werker battery in there, so I figured that it might not be the battery. I changed it anyway and it still didnt work.

I can hear the fuel pump kicking on before I attempt to start the truck. The starter seems to be attempting to start. Battery should be fine. The Alternator should be irrelevant at this point. And I checked the Schrader valve and there is plenty of fuel in the lines. So its not frozen or anything. When it goes to start it just sounds as if its not getting that last little bit of whatever to fire...

Also plugs and wires look fairly new. Im looking for some ideas I may have overlooked here. Ideas?? Also it did start the other day but I just had to move it about 5-10 on the drive way and that was it. But it started just fine then.

Possibly the starter selinoid. Its located on the start, under the truck. Few love taps may help. I assume you're no hearing it click? Mine did that a while ago and I just slammed the hood hard once and all was well. :)

Are the battery posts original, and the surfaces clean?

I figured it out. But I dont know if it was a combination of everything I tried or what but the final kick in the ass was that it was flooded, I think there was more to it than that but thats what finally pulled it off.

Back