99 Mountaineer Cam Synchronizer P1309 code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Mountaineer Cam Synchronizer P1309 code

kdspapa

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Oregon -Grants Pass
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0L
I recently replaced the cam synchronizer in my 99 Mountaineer 5.0L and I used the alignment tool but set the synchronizer at the same position it was in originally which was situated in the 5:30 or 5:45 degree position instead of the 6 o'clock (engine centerline) position. The truck runs good but I get a P1309 misfire code and, except for poor gas mileage and some lack of power at the top end and some pinging, one would think I installed the cam synchronizer correctly. When I experimented with the cam synchronizer position at the next tooth of the gear, it was positioned at about 6:30 or 6:45, again instead of centerline. As I stated the truck runs good but I wonder if I should have set the synchronizer to the 6:30 position and what that would do to the performance of my Mountaineer and would it hurt the engine to try it? Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this. Could use some help. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently replaced the cam synchronizer in my 99 Mountaineer 5.0L and I used the alignment tool but set the synchronizer at the same position it was in originally which was situated in the 5:30 or 5:45 degree position instead of the 6 o'clock (engine centerline) position. The truck runs good but I get a P1309 misfire code and, except for poor gas mileage and some lack of power at the top end and some pinging, one would think I installed the cam synchronizer correctly. When I experimented with the cam synchronizer position at the next tooth of the gear, it was positioned at about 6:30 or 6:45, again instead of centerline. As I stated the truck runs good but I wonder if I should have set the synchronizer to the 6:30 position and what that would do to the performance of my Mountaineer and would it hurt the engine to try it? Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this. Could use some help. Thanks!

The direction the connector points is of no concern on it's own. However the relationship between the body, inner shaft and cam shaft are what need to be "synched" with the tool.

if the inner shaft was 180 away when you removed it, then you placed the tool on the sensor and dropped it in, the sensor is not "synched". It is important to understand this

I'm not trying to be rude, this is a common mistake made by not assuring the #1 cylinder is at top dead center of the compression stroke

P1309 Cam Sensor Misaligned? Crankshaft Sensor?

Thanks Turdle for your comment!

First, I would like to say that I have read so many posts trying to solve this problem that my eyes are starting to cross!

I guess I should have stated that I did have #1 piston at TDC. However, I didn't look through the timing chain cover access holes, as I read I could do, to line up the timing marks. I brought the #1 piston up on the compression stroke while feeling for the air pressure blowing out and brought the TDC mark on the balancer up to the pointer. As I said, I still aligned the synchronizer to point where the synchronizer's electrical connector position was when I uninstalled it at the 5:30 position. If it was incorrect in the first place I don't know but you say that doesn't matter. My Chilton manual made a point about the whole unit being parallel to the centerline of the engine so, I was concerned about setting it at the 5:30 position. I feel relieved now after you wrote that the position of the synchronizer wasn't important as long as the sensor is lined up, and since I used the alignment tool from Autozone, I believe I did it right. As I stated, the truck runs good except for the P1309 code and pinging at the top end while heavy excellerating!

What are my options? Redo the synchronizer installation this time looking at all the timing marks under the timing chain cover to be sure it is truely at TDC? Has anyone used a piston stop on an Explorer/Mountaineer? Can I mark the balancer and put a timing light on it? What would you suggest?

What part does the crankshaft position sensor play in all of this? I purchased a new Motorcraft (as with all my parts so far) sensor but am concerned about whether or not I need to align it or just bolt it on. The small round bolt holes make me think it just bolts on with no adjustment needed. Autozone website mentions an alignment procedure for something to do with the crankshaft sensor. In the meantime, I purchased and am waiting for the two Ford/Mercury service manuals for my truck that I purchased on eBay.

Again, Thank you for responding as, while I am a novice to intermediate mechanic, I try hard to do a good job and research is part of that. To date I've replaced the spark plugs, changed out two front wheel studs, replaced the rear pinion seal, replaced the cam synchronizer and sensor, replaced the dpfe sensor (DTC Code), flushed the transmission and rear differential, did a compression check, replaced the radiator, spray cleaned the MAF sensor, replaced the shocks, replaced instrument cluster bulbs, still looking for a vacuum leak, generally cleaned up my Mounty and, oh yeah, changed the oil and air filter. I also had a new timing gear/chain set and oil pan gasket installed. I am disabled and it has taken me some time to do all this but I enjoy saving money by working on my own vehicle. These forums have been a huge help! All these sensors are mind boggling though!:hammer:

I know I'm resurrecting this thread. Did you ever solve this issuse because I'm still getting the same nagging code?

The problem I had was fixed so follow the advice in these threads and you will be just fine.

OK, RESET

No really "reset" Clear the code!

Disconnect the battery, both cables for 2+ minutes to clear the code.

Drive and see if it returns.

This will also allow the computer to re-tune to the new conditions.

If the code returns then you know for sure you have a alignment prob.

If so repeat the install.

The pinging at wide open is just the way it is these days "crud gas" unless it is severe.

While I fixed the P1309 code with the advice from Turdle, my 99 Mounty pings a little under load and at the high end. I attribute the pinging to an old truck and try to keep my foot out of it when I accelerate.

The problem I had was fixed so follow the advice in these threads and you will be just fine.

I'm still getting the code. And I even had the engine at TDC with the crank marks lined up before re-installing it with the alignment tool. What other tid bits of info or step am I missing?

Did you feel for the number one piston to be at TDC? If not, do it!

Did you feel for the number one piston to be at TDC? If not, do it!

Also, it must be on the compression stroke. TDC occurs 2 times for every 1 revolution of the camshaft.

Also, it must be on the compression stroke. TDC occurs 2 times for every 1 revolution of the camshaft.

That could be it possibly. I forgot 4 stroke engine means TDC twice. 1)Intake 2)Compression 3)Combustion and 4)Exhaust right? So should I remove the number one spark plug and have someone there to feel the air being pushed out when I turn it over? Or try to fit something in there to feel the piston itself?

Yes to both :thumbsup:

Alright redid it last night. Didn't have anyone to help so I had to feel the piston myself with some metal wire. I also went by the haynes manual which says the arrow should be parrallel with the engine centerline. I guessed they meant with about a 6:30 position when before I was always doing about a 5:25 position with it. Drove a little bit. No hiccups but WAY too soon to tell if the light comes back. That usually takes 20-50 miles. If it doesn't work this time, I will wait til I have help and do it again with someone that can feel the air and piston come up. It actually doesn't take as much time to do this as you'd think. To me the hardest part is fitting a breaker bar between the fan and engine. Pain the Arse. Then slowly spinning it over.

After you feel for TDC on the compression stroke, look at your timing marks. Are they where they're suppose to be or some different configuration?

Okay a little update. So, I finally just took her to a shop to have the synchro work done since it kept coming back. Well they got that part taken care of. I guess I wasn't getting the crank lined up right so I wasn't putting the synchro in the right spot. They said it was off a few teeth. So they marked the crank for me for future reference. Erased the codes. Well the truck felt smoother, less tinging noise, and reved a bit healthier but the light came back. I've read and they even said at this point it's probably related to the PCM. Now mind you, my truck is tuned. Well since the engine build I went through several series of data logged email tunes through James Hensen. And before this code was never an issue UNTIL my last data log session where we finished and unlocked my flash device. Do you guys think that last set of tuning could be a possibility of why this light comes on?

Tekman...is I an sct flash box..just had a tune fail ...they think it contaminated my pcm....same 1309 condition....wtf!!!!!

Okay a little update. So, I finally just took her to a shop to have the synchro work done since it kept coming back. Well they got that part taken care of. I guess I wasn't getting the crank lined up right so I wasn't putting the synchro in the right spot. They said it was off a few teeth. So they marked the crank for me for future reference. Erased the codes. Well the truck felt smoother, less tinging noise, and reved a bit healthier but the light came back. I've read and they even said at this point it's probably related to the PCM. Now mind you, my truck is tuned. Well since the engine build I went through several series of data logged email tunes through James Hensen. And before this code was never an issue UNTIL my last data log session where we finished and unlocked my flash device. Do you guys think that last set of tuning could be a possibility of why this light comes on?

That P1309 code has also been generated due to a problem with the alternator. Bad diode I believe. It causes a a stray signal that the PCM reports as a cam sync problem.

Use a scan tool that can erase the Keep Alive Memory. I've had several that will continue to set the code when the issue has been resolved, resetting the Keep Alive Memory wipes out the old parameters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back