99 mountaineer will not accelerate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 mountaineer will not accelerate

mountaineer99

Reaction score
99 mountaineer 4.0l sohc will idle fine when I step on the gas it wants to die out. when I pump the gas it will sometinme reach 2000 rpm.
What could be the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm
Have you checked any of the fuel system yet?
Could be as simple as a fuel filter....

Do you have a check engine light or flashing OD light?

99 mountaineer no accelleration

The gas filter is probably about 4 months old. I will change it again. How can the throttle body be checked or the fuel pump. I thought if the fuel pump was bad I would not be able to start it at all. I have no engine light on or OD light.
The way it running it seems to be starving for gas when you press on the gas.
I had someone tell me to replace the coil pack could that be a possibility? The truck seems to run fine at idle.

99 mountaineer bg down on accelleration

I changed the gas filter and the same problem. I turned the key on with the line on the discharge of the filter off and saw gas sparying out when the key is turned on for a few second then I think the pump shuts off until running.
I think I know the fuel pump is fine. What could the problem be?

I don't know much about the sohc because i own a ohv. Obviously the fuel pump is running if it sprayed fuel. Check the throttle cable to the throttle body and see if it is opening the butterfly plate, a bad throttle position sensor could also cause the same problems

1999 mountaineer 4.0l v6

I replaced the throttlr position sensor today and I still have the same problem.
I still think it is something with the fuel pump I am going to try to check the psi somehow. I do not want to go thru all the work to have the same problem.

yeah - you need to get a gauge and actually check the fuel pressure. It may be a problem with the fuel pressure regulator as well. Monitor the fuel pressure while the engine is running to see if it drops off.

1999 mountaineer no accelleration

I changed out the fuel pump and the whole assembly in the tank. I still have the same problem. I now think it must be the fuel injectors. I thought it was the fuel pump because how the problem occurred so suddenly. The engine was running fine then I started off from a stree light and the engine boggged down. I did not have the correct end to check the fuel pressure so I took a chance.
Is there a way to check the injectors?
I have the 4.0l v6 and am not sure what else it could be.
Any help
Thanks

Back