99 Ranger P0733 code AGAIN!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ranger P0733 code AGAIN!!!

ff2024

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksburg, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok 6 months ago I pulled the VB on my Ranger put in the Ford upgrade, Superior shift kit (minus the wiring and the coast clutch upgrade), and a new EPC solenoid. It ran perfectly fine until I let my Girlfriend take it to work for a week. Now the same thing is happening again, hard shift from 1st to 2nd. I called to get the Sonnax EZ kit and the tech told me that my VB may be too worn for that kit to work. He did have a brand new straight from Ford VB with all solenoids for $309 and said it would be cheaper to get a new VB rather than try to bore mine out for all the sonnax updates. Now, I don't want to put in a new VB and find out later that I have a broken band or a burnt band. How can I tell if a band is broken for burnt? or I can get a new rebuilt tranny for $675 with a 1 year warranty. I actually plan on trading in my truck within the next year. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

the 1-2 shift in the 4R series (44 or 55) is caused by application of the intermediate band. In the case of the 5R55 second gear is caused by application of the OD band. It does not sound like a broken band to me. You can check most easilt for a broken band by dropping the pan, busted bands usually drop the broken strut support into the pan.

The tech is an honest guy. There is a serious problem in the expense of upgrading an OLD VB by boring versus the cost of new right now. I cannot tell you that popping $309 for a new VB will fix the prob, but I have a sense it might. (So might retorquing the VB) Anyway, PM me and maybe we can work out a backstop plan if you plan to try the new VB approach.

Back