99 Ranger stall and no start***fixed*** | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ranger stall and no start***fixed***

N2FORD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kingston,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4wd
I have searched here and google and nothing that seems match my symptoms. My son's 99 3.0 Ranger wouldn't start earlier today then did. When he got home he was backing into the driveway and it stalled. He said lots of lights came on the dash. When I got to it the truck cranked but no start. I rolled the window and turned the ignition on so I could listen for the fuel pump. I could here it running but didn't sound right and the check engine light and theft light were blinking brighter as the noise at the pump changed. I did here the pump stop whining and it then started. I pulled it in the garage and now it won't start and making the noises again. I know the pumps give problems but with the lights flickering I am worried it is an electrical issue. Any thoughts of what to check next or start with? Thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many mile does it have on it?

About 180k on it.

I just went through CPS issues on my 1997 4.0 SOHC Explorer. It would keep the ignition from firing.
have a 1999 3.0 Ranger that if I ran it out of fuel the pump would pick up some real fine silt out of the bottom of the tank and temporarily clog the pick up end of the pump. I could put in two or 3 gallons and get the pump wet again and then in a day or so the pump would unclog itself. It turns out that the sock on the end of the pump was missing or had come off somehow.

It is back alive, PATS issue in the computer is what the problem was. The shop I use had a used computer. They installed it and reprogrammed it and now it's running as good as before the issue.

Back