99 ranger...

00XLS

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Frackville/State College PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 00 XLS
A friend from work (the same one who is having problems with his cougar) is thinking of trading up for a 99 ranger. XLT, 4x4, 4.0 auto, is about all I know. Any problems/concerns with this model year and combo? I'd love to give him some great feedback but also want to alert him for things to look out for. Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 99 4WD rangers have pulse vacuum engagement hubs and they are known to be problematic. There is no manual hub for the 98, 99 and early 2000 models. There is a couple ways to lock them full time and then they operate like the later models do. The 98, 99 and early 2000 Rangers also seem to have weak front wheel bearings. Otherwise I think the are just as reliable as any other Ranger.

Outstanding, i'll relay the msg.

If the vaccum give him problem, you could always convert it to full time. Mine have been very good to me, although the vaccum system didn't have a chance to give me any problem. Dump the Cougar and get the Ranger!

when i had a 1998 4x4 4.0 ranger i had problems with the vacuum actuated hubs. I replaced them with a set of 1996 explorer cv shafts and hubs and that solved the problem, too bad i totaled it 200 miles later; dang ice.
Nick Good

I'm having this problem on my '99 Ranger 4x4 as we speak. Is there a write up on exactly what the issue is and how to fix it?

Also, is there a write up on how to use the '96 Explorer axles and hubs?

Any help is appreciated. I'm relatively new to trucks.

Hi,

I notice below that one person said you cannot convert 00 Rangers to Manual and another says you can - which is it?

I have lost my front wheel drive on my 00 with 91K. I have already checked the motor and all at the transfer and it appears to be good. I cannot free spin the front differential when in 4WD and it does go in and out of LOW.

I have tried to check the vacuum up front but do not feel anything. HOWEVER, my heat and AC controls all work good. I am having a heck of a time tracing the vacuum tubes to a source. Also, what is that second line (wire or something) running into the hub? I have a 10A fuse in #14 so I am assuming I do NOT have front ABS

How can I manually lock these hubs? Also mentioned on this thread? How can I isolate what is wrong? Vacuum? Hub? something else?

These particular parts are not cheap, as you know, so I want to replace the right part.

Now my dang Check Engine light is on. Error is EGR Flow Restricted. That seems to be the classic DPFE Sensor!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Go to the www.therangerstation.com or e-mail me if you have question. I have the print out of all the year of explorers and mountaineers you could get your cv from. I believe 96 is the first year you could get the CV from. I have a friend who have 2001 and he didn't have the vacuum front end, so the 2001 to current would be the next candidate.

Back