99 RWD Explorer Offroad Build | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

99 RWD Explorer Offroad Build

Cwilson00

Reaction score
City, State
Buena Park
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, Explorer Sport RWD
Hey Everyone, new to the threads. I have a 99 Explorer RWD Sport and am getting my research done on how to turn this into a semi-Prerunner. Im looking to just buy decent offroad type suspension front and rear as well as beefing up the leaf springs and most likely taking them to get re-arched. Im just on here to see if anyone had some advice to see what type of lift I could put on and what suspension would be good for the tooling around the desert type of offroad nothing crazy. I also have heard about people doing something to the rear end since the explorer is "peg-legged" allowing both rear wheels to spin. Again any advice or suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
For the rear Id make sure you don’t have the mono-lead setup. If so, I wouldn’t bother getting them re-arched. As the the rear, put in A lunch box locker, or swap in a complete limited slip rear end from another Explorer. You could probably find a 4.10 for cheap.

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
Post lots of pictures please;)