• Register Today It's free!

99 sport 2WD trans popped

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
City, State
west of the rockies
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Exp Sport
30 minutes ago, backing into driveway, trans "Popped" and no reverse. Drives forward fine, you can feel a slight change in engine when you put it into reverse, but no ability to load it.

190K, fluid clean, serviced a couple of months back, level good.

Ideas before we scrap it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

30 minutes ago, backing into driveway, trans "Popped" and no reverse. Drives forward fine, you can feel a slight change in engine when you put it into reverse, but no ability to load it.

If its the 5R55E it could be the valve body gaskets or the EPC Solenoid

Check line pressures in all gears.

How’s manual 1 and 2?

I’d drop the pan after this and start poking around.

I assume you already double checked the fluid level? I had my 5R55E too low after doing valve body work once and reverse engagement was all kinds of goofy.

If your engine is an SOHC at 190K maybe time to move on, if other it could be worth a rebuild.
Where ..."west of the rockies"....are you located?

Reverse band broken. Full teardown necessary. If you need to verify, as stated above you lose engine braking in 1st. An inspection can be done by dropping the transmission pan.

I had this happen to my wife's 99 Sport about 6-8 months ago, I went to back the truck in the driveway & something went snap & no reverse. It needed a complete overhaul.

I had this happen and put in a used trans from the junk yard. It is still working and that was over 100'000 miles ago. It is a gamble but much less less than a rebuild.

Back