• Register Today It's free!

'99 Sport Fuel Reset switch

LMoe

Reaction score
City, State
New Hope, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Need help,......Tring to locate the fuel reset switches on my '99 Sport...Can anyone help?

Also, Is there a delay setting switch for the headlights? If so can't find it either.....My truck didn't have a owners manual.............HELP !!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No delay settings unless you have the electrochromatic mirror. The fuel reset switch is underneath the dash, under the carpet, on the passenger side.

I feel stupid for asking but what would a fuel reset valve do for ya?

It's an inertia switch that triggers when you get in a collision and shuts the fuel pump down.

Originally posted by Jason_25
No delay settings unless you have the electrochromatic mirror. The fuel reset switch is underneath the dash, under the carpet, on the passenger side.

Yes,...I do have the "electrochromatic" mirror.....the fuel reset switch, Is there only one, someone told me there could up to 3 the one under the dash, maybe one in the back and under the hood...Is this correct ?

I haven't heard of any switch besides the one on the passenger side.

Jason_25

Had a strange thing happen today....Was going down the road, and all of a sudden the trucks engine just quit....It acts like it wants to turn over but wont, so i'm not sure if it's the reset switch, or the fuel pump.

This is my first SUV, so i'm scared to ask what it's gonna cost me for a new fuel pump(If that's the problem)....I've heard that *Explorers* can be hard on the wallet...

Ok here's a test I need you to do.

CLimb in and keep the window down. put the truck in the start position, don't start it but listen for the fuel pump to "hum". It will do this for 2 seconds and stop. If this does not happens, the pump is bad or the inertia switch has been tripped.

new knowledge gained , thanks :D

CLimb in and keep the window down. put the truck in the start position, don't start it but listen for the fuel pump to "hum". It will do this for 2 seconds and stop. If this does not happens, the pump is bad or the inertia switch has been tripped.
[/QUOTE

Jason_25,
Forgive my ignorance, but "inertia switch tripped",....Is this common, and a EZ fix ??:banghead:

common no, easy fix yes. just reset the switch.

Originally posted by taxxman2k
common no easy fix yes. just reset the switch.
:confused: OK, OK,...Cut me a break, I bought the truck used and am still trying to get my hands on the owners manual....:D

that must have read wrong. I wasn't just trying to say that it is not common, and the fix is easy by just reseting the switch.

not trying to belittle anyone. The only owners manual you need is this site and maybe a haynes or chilton manual from your local autoparts store.

Originally posted by taxxman2k
that must have read wrong. I wasn't just trying to say that it is not common, and the fix is easy by just reseting the switch.

not trying to belittle anyone. The only owners manual you need is this site and maybe a haynes or chilton manual from your local autoparts store.

No harm, no faul:D ....Where is the switch located..??

I have never seen it but they claim it is where htey say it is at the top of this post. If you cannot find it you can ask your local service department.

:banghead: Well, I just got back from where my truck is, and unfortunately, no "hum".....I'm gonna run by the parts store tommorrow, and pick up one of those manuals. Hopefully it will give me a little bit of a clue as to what's wrong.....Thanks to all that helped me today....

did you check the fuse for the fuel pump?

good luck finding the reset switch in the book I just looked in mine, but non the less for $12 it is a handy tool to have around. Call or stop by a dealer service shop and ask them if it exists and where.

Back