99 Sport lifted 4" w/ 33x12.5 Before and After (Lot's of pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Sport lifted 4" w/ 33x12.5 Before and After (Lot's of pics)

Here are my pics of my lifted Explorer. I think it looks pretty nice. All pics are in before and after order.

FRONT
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

FRONT: Closeup
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

SIDE
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

BACK
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

SPINDLES
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

SOA
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Shock Mount and Sway Bar Link
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

TIRES
Dead Link Removed

Let me know what you think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alot of rockcrawlers who compete professionally use 17s now for less sidewall buckle and control...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

When I lift my Sport, I'm thinking about trying to find some nice 15 in wheels to put my 33s on. I'm figuring since it will prolly ride stiffer w/ the lift the 15s w/ thier taller sidewall will help some w/ the rough ride.Plus, I like the baloon tire look. Will 15s fit my Sport? Any suggestions on what brand/type shock to use biased more towards ride/cornering than trail use? Like I said, I don't wheel enough to sacrifice all for a full bore trail and rock smasher. Thanks for any replies...:cool:

Originally posted by Sport 4x4
When I lift my Sport, I'm thinking about trying to find some nice 15 in wheels to put my 33s on. I'm figuring since it will prolly ride stiffer w/ the lift the 15s w/ thier taller sidewall will help some w/ the rough ride.Plus, I like the baloon tire look. Will 15s fit my Sport? Any suggestions on what brand/type shock to use biased more towards ride/cornering than trail use? Like I said, I don't wheel enough to sacrifice all for a full bore trail and rock smasher. Thanks for any replies...:cool:

Yes, 15's will fit easily. A 15x8 wheel should fit most 33's without a problem. Many people have 15's with this size tire. It's the easiest size to find the tires in. Witha 17" wheel, I had very few choices as to what tire to get. Pretty much any 15" wheel would do the job.

Do you know of any websites that will show pics of wheels for my Sport? Thanks much...

are your torsion bars maxed out?

Nope. Not even close. ONly about 0.5" to even it out. I still have another 1.5" or so of lift left in them. With that and some shackles in back, I could probably slap on some 35's... :)

Truck looks really clean now...I like it....I bet with some tire shine it really turns heads!!

Looks really good, but I'd like to see some pics of it getting dirty!:D

Originally posted by stretch
Looks really good, but I'd like to see some pics of it getting dirty!:D

Soon... :D

so doc.. you still enjoying the lift? how's the monoleaf working out with the SOA in the back?
and is the shock mount just the tip of the original leaf spring/shock mount plate cut off and welded on?

i don't really want to use the monoleaf again, but i'm temped to in order to do a SOA with about 3" of lift.

I did like the multi-leaf more, but hte mono-leaf is OK for now. The mono is not as progressive.

Yep, I still love the lift. Just got my new LS and gears, so those will go in soon.

Yes, they just modified the factory shock mount and welded that on. Works great. Waste not, want not, I say.

Thanks

Doc,

Did you use stock length shocks in the rear?- they dont look the same in the pics, but I wondered since you moved the mount higher on the axle. I like the way your SOA came out.

Any binding in the rear when it flexes?

Thanks

Doc, maybe I missed it somewhere, but how much lift did you get out of the SOA with the monoleaf?

Here are the measurements I took before and after. These include the tires, which are 4" bigger than stock, so they ad about 2" of lift also.

BEFORE:
FL 27.5" FR 28.0"

BL 24.25" BR 25.25"

AFTER:
FL 32.75" FR 33.25"

BL 32.0" BR 32.25"

CHANGE:
FL 5.25" FR 5.25"

BL 7.75" BR 7.0"

So the spindles gave 3.25" of lift, and the SOA gave me about about 5.5" of lift. This also helped wiht the rear end sag.

I used new Pro Comp shocks. They are only a little longer than stock. The fronts are actually the same, since the spindls keep the same mounting point distance as the stock spindles. The back shocks are longer. You could probably get by with using stock length shocks depending on how you do the shock mount. Mine ended up being pretty close to stock (+1" or so).

about the rear antisway bar...

when I put on a larger rear antisway bar, I accidently mounted it upside at first... however, if you look at the stock design, the sway bar comes down and (atleast in my opinion) provides some protection for the rear diff.

granted, I dont go offroading, but I reattached the new bigger antisway bar on the correct way so that if i ever backup into something nasty, it puts a dent in the antisway bar instead of the rear diff.

I'm not a mechanic, I could be more wrong then I am right, this is just my observation.

How much are the spindles... and where do you get them?

Sorry for the delay, was gone for the weekend. The spindles were about $450 from 4wheelparts.com . There is also a kit for about $520 withthe a-a-l and shocks.

Looks good man...Do you have any pics from what you have done lately?

Back