• Register Today It's free!

99 Sport Suspension

Alezone

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
It feels like the car is falling apart whenever I drive through a pothole... and feels like there's no suspension at all. And when I'm driving over a speed bump one wheel at a time, the car rocks left and right vigorously...

Do i need to replace the SHOCKS only? or the spring leafs as well? and what are my options? Thanks in advance

I replaced the OEM shocks on my Sport at 40,000 miles or so and that plus an EE swaybar made a pretty nice difference in handling, with far less body roll and more predictable bahavior on uneven pavement. If your Sport is stock, the leaf springs are monoleaf and replacing them with multi-leaf springs from a 4-door explorer should be an improvement as well.

Outside those, what tires are on it and what do you inflate them to?

everything is stock (rims and tires)... and I doubt if ANYTHING (even the suspension) has been changed since new... the truck has 210k KM on it, i bought it at 190k.

is the multi-leaf a direct bolt-on? any fabrication needed? as for the EE swaybar, where can I get it and how much would it be? THanks

everything is stock (rims and tires)... and I doubt if ANYTHING (even the suspension) has been changed since new.
That would be at least part of your problem then. There's no way that original equipment shocks are still good over 100,000 miles. They might even have been replaced once already and the replacements are shot :)

is the multi-leaf a direct bolt-on? any fabrication needed?
No fabrication. Just remove and replacing the springs with the 4-door version.

EE swaybar, where can I get it and how much would it be?
Explorer Express.

A few searches on the forums here will turn up plenty of info about both leaf springs and swaybars. :thumbsup:

Back