99 sport upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 sport upgrade

ok im getting my 99 ford explorer sport 4x4 4.0sohc back from shop after my accident. soo i want to add a few performance mod

heres what im thinking

brute force intake
75mm mustang bbk throttle body( i read 4.6 tbs fit 4.0sohcs)
bamachip 3 stage
custom exhaust single 3" in/ dual 2.5" out, to exit before the rear tire( kinda like the lightnings exhaust, with a flowmaster super 40's muffler

maybe even a magnaflow highflow cat, if it will pass emissions

what you guys think? any guess on my 1/4 mile with those mods?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sofastnj said:
ok im getting my 99 ford explorer sport 4x4 4.0sohc back from shop after my accident. soo i want to add a few performance mod

heres what im thinking

brute force intake
bamachip 3 stage
custom exhaust single 3" in/ dual 2.5" out, to exit before the rear tire( kinda like the lightnings exhaust, with a flowmaster super 40's muffler

Not sure the 75MM TB is going to help without doing something to your intake. I'm not sure if 75MM is too big for the 4.0 SOHC?

There's a 70MM 4.6 TB and a 75MM 4.6MM TB.

I can tell you first hand that the only difference from your stock 65MM TB and a 4.6 70MM TB is the front part of the bore. The bore where your butterfly is will be EXACTLY the same as what you have right now. You will feel a difference with the 70MM 4.6 TB because of this front bore being bigger.

But, if you want to save some $$ and are a little handy, Go to home depot and purchase a 3" flap wheel. Bore your stock TB out yourself. Just don't mess with the bore where the butterfly seats. 70MM = 2.755 so you can use a scale to measure. (2-3/4 on a precision scale. Each line on the scale is .005 so if you get on the line you'll be within .005 which is plenty close.)

Jakee said:
There's a 70MM 4.6 TB and a 75MM 4.6MM TB.

I can tell you first hand that the only difference from your stock 65MM TB and a 4.6 70MM TB is the front part of the bore. The bore where your butterfly is will be EXACTLY the same as what you have right now. You will feel a difference with the 70MM 4.6 TB because of this front bore being bigger.

But, if you want to save some $$ and are a little handy, Go to home depot and purchase a 3" flap wheel. Bore your stock TB out yourself. Just don't mess with the bore where the butterfly seats. 70MM = 2.755 so you can use a scale to measure. (2-3/4 on a precision scale. Each line on the scale is .005 so if you get on the line you'll be within .005 which is plenty close.)

so would the 70mm be worth the money? also i am confused as to what you would bore? Am I correct in assuming you only bore out the front and back of the tb, not where the butterfly is attached?

-Rich

churd69 said:
so would the 70mm be worth the money? also i am confused as to what you would bore? Am I correct in assuming you only bore out the front and back of the tb, not where the butterfly is attached?

-Rich

Don't do the back. If you look down the TB you'll see that from the front the bore goes back to a step. You'll bore down to the step only. The rest of the bore is left alone completely. Make sure you clean the heck out of the thing after. Actually, I have a old bored out TB you may want. It's already done. You'll need to use your shaft because it's a half shafter and caused me little problems. PM if interested.

aldive said:
Go with an SCT tuner instead of a chip; definately go with Bama Chips as your tuner.

If the thread starter ever aspires to run nitrous oxide in the future then they should get an SCT eliminator chip. Doug @ Bama should have the hardware to be able to program those too. They take the same program as the SCT Xcal2 tuner does but allow for multiple programs to be flipped to while on the move.

sofastnj said:

heres what im thinking

brute force intake
bamachip 3 stage

Hey, 3" might be to much. 2.5" is proven. I'm afraid you might loose to much backpressure and be slower than you could be.

sofastnj said:

heres what im thinking

brute force intake
bamachip 3 stage

As far the 1/4 times. No one can guess at that because we don't know your current engine health. As a rule of thumb, you should do a compression test to find out where you're at before modding to much.

Remove all plugs, disconnect the power to the coil, crank it over and measure the 3rd pulse. Go to the next cylinder. Log them down for each cylinder. If your around 125 PSI and 20% from one another you're good to go.

I had two different aftermarket TBs on my old SOHC equipped Sport. One was from BBK and the other Ford Racing. Both were 70 mm designed for 4.6L Mustangs. Both bolted up easily. Both gave me grief with my cruise control. Cruise worked, but would drop off when I would come to hills and never quite held the selected speed. There is a vaccuum line controlling cruise and I never did figure out how to sort out the issue. As soon as I put a stock TB back on to sell my Sport, the problem went away so it was definitely the TB. Aldive has done the same and had no issues with cruise, but I sure did and have found posts from others who said they had the same problems. There was also a little slack in the throttle cable, but that was taken care of using the "throttle cable mod" and a few zip ties.

In all honesty, I noticed a slight increase in smoothness (and it was probably psychological). Would I do it again? Nope. Just not enough benefit for the price you pay for these things. Ask "Monmix" what he thinks of the Ford Racing version. I told him mine for a fraction of what I paid for it (low miles). I sold the BBK to a guy on eBay who does porting/polishing.

My opinion is; The best gain you'll get is with a custom ported and half shafted stock TB. Like I said, I've had the both and the 70MM is the exact same as the one I had ported myself. I was under the impression that the 70MM would have a different bore where the Butterfly is. But, that wasn't the case.

Never had any cruise control problems. That is very odd? Celly - Did you have the sensor set @ .096? Did you adjust the kick down with the 4.6 TB? Just curios on what caused this for you?

Jakee said:
Never had any cruise control problems. That is very odd? Celly - Did you have the sensor set @ .096? Did you adjust the kick down with the 4.6 TB? Just curios on what caused this for you?

I had the TPS set at .96. It was dead easy to set the voltage on the Sport. No widening of holes or anything of the sort. Idled smooth as silk and ran like a top....until I played with cruise. I researched the heck out of the issue. I'm not really clear what you mean about setting the "kick down", but I tried all sorts of methods, including "re-learning the idle" (sorry, I tried to link the website I used but it's a dead link now). I asked a lot of people in the know and just couldn't find answers. I did come across others that had the same problem. One thing I did do that minimized the problem was ditch the thin paper gasket I got with the BBK and used the OEM "gasket", that plastic spacer with the fins in it. I used a Dremel to bore it out a bit to match the 70mm diamater of the TB. This not only picked up some of the slack in the throttle cable because the spacing was closer to OEM TB but it definitely made the cruise perform a bit better (but not perfect). I was able to hold speeds better on flat ground, but it stlll lagged about 2-3 mph on hills. Even more on steeper hills.

I still feel that overall, the mod did little to enhance performance. I felt a bigger change when I switched from an OEM MAF body to the larger offering from C&L. That "increase" (if not only psychological) was not huge either. Aldive and Doug (Bama) have dyno proven that the C&L does have a benefit. I still use the MAF on my 5.0 application. I have yet to hear/see of "dyno proof" that the larger TB does anything in the SOHC.

For the benefit of others, please tell us how to adjust the "kick down". Maybe that's the solution. When I posted on this site about the problem, no one came up with that suggestion. As mentioned, Aldive did the exact same mod and had no issues whatsoever. I tried two different throttle bodies and had the same problem and I know of others that had similar issues as I did. I don't really care anymore because I've got a 5.0 now. I scored an OEM TB off eBay from a guy who has done porting/polishing for years (former drag racer). I asked him if he'd do a 5.0L TB off an Explorer and he finally did. I did notice a slight performance gain when I bolted it on and MUCH smoother throttle response.

With the SOHC, I still feel that simply bolting on a 70mm TB designed for the 4.6L Mustang provides marginal gains and unless you're getting the TB at a sweet price, it's a mod whose cost well exceeds any perceived benefit. That's my opinion only. I'm sure others will beg to differ, but until I see dyno results, then those perceived gains people claim are just that, perceived. I researched these TBs for months and even Mustang owners tend to debate the benefits. Many feel that without the right mods simply adding a 70mm TB does little even for their applications.

celly said:
I had the TPS set at .96. It was dead easy to set the voltage on the Sport. No widening of holes or anything of the sort. Idled smooth as silk and ran like a top....until I played with cruise. I researched the heck out of the issue. I'm not really clear what you mean about setting the "kick down", but I tried all sorts of methods, including "re-learning the idle" (sorry, I tried to link the website I used but it's a dead link now). I asked a lot of people in the know and just couldn't find answers. I did come across others that had the same problem. One thing I did do that minimized the problem was ditch the thin paper gasket I got with the BBK and used the OEM "gasket", that plastic spacer with the fins in it. I used a Dremel to bore it out a bit to match the 70mm diamater of the TB. This not only picked up some of the slack in the throttle cable because the spacing was closer to OEM TB but it definitely made the cruise perform a bit better (but not perfect). I was able to hold speeds better on flat ground, but it stlll lagged about 2-3 mph on hills. Even more on steeper hills.

I still feel that overall, the mod did little to enhance performance. I felt a bigger change when I switched from an OEM MAF body to the larger offering from C&L. That "increase" (if not only psychological) was not huge either. Aldive and Doug (Bama) have dyno proven that the C&L does have a benefit. I still use the MAF on my 5.0 application. I have yet to hear/see of "dyno proof" that the larger TB does anything in the SOHC.

For the benefit of others, please tell us how to adjust the "kick down". Maybe that's the solution. When I posted on this site about the problem, no one came up with that suggestion. As mentioned, Aldive did the exact same mod and had no issues whatsoever. I tried two different throttle bodies and had the same problem and I know of others that had similar issues as I did. I don't really care anymore because I've got a 5.0 now. I scored an OEM TB off eBay from a guy who has done porting/polishing for years (former drag racer). I asked him if he'd do a 5.0L TB off an Explorer and he finally did. I did notice a slight performance gain when I bolted it on and MUCH smoother throttle response.

With the SOHC, I still feel that simply bolting on a 70mm TB designed for the 4.6L Mustang provides marginal gains and unless you're getting the TB at a sweet price, it's a mod whose cost well exceeds any perceived benefit. That's my opinion only. I'm sure others will beg to differ, but until I see dyno results, then those perceived gains people claim are just that, perceived. I researched these TBs for months and even Mustang owners tend to debate the benefits. Many feel that without the right mods simply adding a 70mm TB does little even for their applications.

When I say kick down cable, I mean this; There's the throttle cable (Nothing needs to be down when using the 4.6 TB) and there's the bottom cable, I refer to as the kick down cable (Probably not the right term to use). When you add the 4.6 TB you will need to adjust this. You pull the little metal clip out (Located around 5 inches up from the end of the cable) then adjust so that when the throttle is closed there's not slack. You'll have to do it to see what I'm talking about. I would almost bet this was the problem you were having. The reason I feel this was it is cause you seemed to have results by using a thicker/thinner tb gasket. I feel that when using the thicker/thinner gasket, you were in fact adjusting the bottom cable. I could be wrong but I can't think of anything else that would have caused you this problem.

Using the 4.6 TB is not going to make the biggest gain available but there is defiantly a gain. I think that spindlecone said that there was dyno proof of a 7HP increase just by porting the stock TB and somewhat half shafting. Like I said, the 4.6 TB is just that; A 65MM stock TB ported in the upper bore. The half shafting is where the rest of the gain is. So if you used just a stock 4.6 70MM tb then you had room for improvement by having it half shafted. So indeed, you probably didn't have the full effect.

No, you're not going to see major gains but as a combination with other mods, and as an attempt for anyone looking for more power, it's defiantly worth doing.

My opinion again is to just have you're stock TB half shafted and ported. It's so easy to do your self and it's almost free that way. So, with that being said....If the gain is truly 7HP, then you'd be looking at around $15 bucks for the tools (If you have power tools already) and a couple of hours of work. Is it worth it? Heck yeah!

Jakee said:
As far the 1/4 times. No one can guess at that because we don't know your current engine health. As a rule of thumb, you should do a compression test to find out where you're at before modding to much.

Remove all plugs, disconnect the power to the coil, crank it over and measure the 3rd pulse. Go to the next cylinder. Log them down for each cylinder. If your around 125 PSI and 20% from one another you're good to go.

Forgot to mention this if you do a compression test. The TB needs to be open when turning the engine over. (So air can get in)

Jakee said:
Forgot to mention this if you do a compression test. The TB needs to be open when turning the engine over. (So air can get in)

Air can get in, it will just hiss for a little while. :D Ok, maybe I am not helping things.

And if you compression tuns out being to low, then just open the TB and put a leaf blower in it. Your compression might get better and you can proceed with modding.

To the original poster, here is my mods (and planned, I will state if it is planned) I have done on my SOHC 4.0 99 with great results

KKM Intake
Black Magic 150 EFAN
Bamachip 93 Tourqe tune
IMCO 2.5" exhaust (STAY WITH SINGLE 2.5" ON THESE MOTORS!! I had dual 2.25" pipes and going back to 2.5" had a HUGE diff in power increase"
All synthetics in both tranny and motor

I plan on going with a underdrive water pulley and that should be it for modding on a budget.

Were they true duals that you had?

Back