• Register Today It's free!

99 tranny slipping? help

rsm688

Reaction score
City, State
mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 tj
well my explorer has been a little bit sluggish for two weeks and today i went mudding for about ten minutes in not very deep stuff just playing around. i was in 1st the whole time (5spd auto behind 4.0, 1999). now my tranny is slipping like crazy around 2nd or 3rd gear. im supposed to drive three hours home tonight. help....any ideas or suggestions?

thanks,
spencer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the fluid? Is it filled? Dirty? Try a fluid and filter change if one has not been done recently, but the level is the first thing to check.

checked the fluid, its clean and red. the fluid was fine. we drained about a quart and added a quart of lucas tranny no slip crap to it.....any other ideas? if you put it in 2nd it will drive until about 40 and start slipping. in drive it starts slipping around 25 or 30.....could a torque converter cause this? any other ideas? thanks guys

-spencer-

and the filter has not been changed in a long time, like maybe 50k+, fluid was changed more recently....this is actually my buddies explorer not mine.....could a clogged filter be the culprit?

The experts would have to respond, but sounds like it wasn't well cared for, so at 115k you are bound to have some issues. Not sure what else you can do other than replace the filter and refill it, before taking it to the shop.

Back