99 v8 explorer shocks | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 v8 explorer shocks

Show us how it sits after, I know someone else said it took out there saggy back end problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ The irony is that you wrote stock. When I first put the Monroe coilover on mine, the impression was that it returned the vehicle to the stock ride properties. IMO, having them on from the factory would have been far too harsh. Ford was already recommending a questionably low tire pressure to combat the harsh factory ride.

It's just an impossible combination, a relatively narrow but tall, body on frame vehicle with torsion bars and leaf springs. Something has to give and that something was ride vs handling. There is no way to make it ideal for both ride quality on bumpy roads, and handle well with a load or on curves. An adjustable air suspension has that potential but it would have to actively adjust to every situation which was a feature before its time.
For sure mine only feels stock because my leafs are still pretty wrecked. If I did an Aal or got new springs it would probably feel stiffer. I do also load the back of mine for work sometimes 200lb+ of tools. So I had more reasons to try out the load assists.

Show us how it sits after, I know someone else said it took out there saggy back end problem
Street pic I have. Though I do not have my before.
I recently twisted the front up, after this picture, an inch to match the back I thought it might settle more. But I went from 33 1/2” off ground top of the rear wheel trim. To 35” 1/4 it settled into 35”. The gap between top of tire and top of trim same 11/2 raise. Could fit 32” tires now without shackles.

56B0FC08-A144-4E0E-9F8B-8B47A170B913.jpeg

(automatic air ride suspension in the back) -- I test drove one of these (wasn't aware it had it ...at first) ....had to test drive 4x4 functions in nearby field - fortunately owner obliged me in that.... got rear tires down in rut ... proceeded to engage 4X and suddenly rear end starts LIFTING UP...and can hear motor/ compressor in rear running... I'm thinking ..."WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!" and then driver informed...and then I'm like...."THAT'S COOL!"

if i could get mine to raise just that much it would be perfect!!! it was pretty level but i think i hauled to much weight with it a time to many, it never seemed to come back after hauling my tractor around.

For sure mine only feels stock because my leafs are still pretty wrecked. If I did an Aal or got new springs it would probably feel stiffer. I do also load the back of mine for work sometimes 200lb+ of tools. So I had more reasons to try out the load assists.
Yeah I haul around 500-800 lbs of mulch in my '98 every spring (though centered in the cargo area so the front suspension takes a bit more of the load than if it were a trailer), plus had the typical rear end sag, so Monroe Load Adjust shocks have left my '98 sitting maybe 1/2" over stock height after 6 years, and have done their job except for three factors.

1) Bumps and potholes are far more noticeable. As when the suspension was factory new, it rides better with a load in it.

2) The extra strain on my lower shock mounts, along with ~22 years of rust, caused them to fail. They still held the leaf springs when their ear that holds the shock mostly broke away, so it wasn't catastrophic, but if I had to do over, if those lower shock mounts are rusted much then I'd go ahead and replace them before adding coilover shocks, or new air shocks.

If they are rusted much then you may need the axle U-bolts replaced too. That's not very difficult or expensive to do, about $55 for the lower shock mounts and $25 for the U-bolts, except again, rust, so I cut the U-bolts off with an angle grinder.

Also once that lower shock mount breaks loose, it's not a lot of fun trying to get the lower shock bolt off since it's then not firmly held by anything. It's easier to just undo the top shock bolt and take the shock off with the piece of lower mount still bolted on, to get it off in a bench vice.

3) My upper shock mount rail (goes across the whole frame) is eventually going to need something done to it too, is rusting slower due to being up higher, but there is no Ford (or aftermarket AFAIK) part to replace that, would have to be fabricated from scratch. That's not too far out of my wheelhouse but getting the dimensions right could take some trial and error.

Yeah I haul around 500-800 lbs of mulch in my '98 every spring (though centered in the cargo area so the front suspension takes a bit more of the load than if it were a trailer), plus had the typical rear end sag, so Monroe Load Adjust shocks have left my '98 sitting maybe 1/2" over stock height after 6 years, and have done their job except for three factors.

1) Bumps and potholes are far more noticeable. As when the suspension was factory new, it rides better with a load in it.

2) The extra strain on my lower shock mounts, along with ~22 years of rust, caused them to fail. They still held the leaf springs when their ear that holds the shock mostly broke away, so it wasn't catastrophic, but if I had to do over, if those lower shock mounts are rusted much then I'd go ahead and replace them before adding coilover shocks, or new air shocks.

If they are rusted much then you may need the axle U-bolts replaced too. That's not very difficult or expensive to do, about $55 for the lower shock mounts and $25 for the U-bolts, except again, rust, so I cut the U-bolts off with an angle grinder.

Also once that lower shock mount breaks loose, it's not a lot of fun trying to get the lower shock bolt off since it's then not firmly held by anything. It's easier to just undo the top shock bolt and take the shock off with the piece of lower mount still bolted on, to get it off in a bench vice.

3) My upper shock mount rail (goes across the whole frame) is eventually going to need something done to it too, is rusting slower due to being up higher, but there is no Ford (or aftermarket AFAIK) part to replace that, would have to be fabricated from scratch. That's not too far out of my wheelhouse but getting the dimensions right could take some trial and error.
Interesting. I think cutting that cross member from another truck without rust would be the easiest way to fix that. I have new thicker leaf spring perches I got from Brian1 here. I was going to use them on two trucks, now with retirement I shouldn't need them.

^ Maybe but around here, if mine are rusted, donor vehicles probably are too. IIRC it either bolts or (more likely) rivets on, though it might be easier to cut the frame than deal with the rivets while it's on the donor vehicle.

My replacement spring perches were Motorcraft, seem plenty sturdy enough... in their rust free state.

I think those cross members do no more than connect the side frame rails, and support the shocks. You could weld or bolt a long portion of one onto yours, the shock mounts would be in virtually the same plane(or add a washer as needed). It's wild, you can see some vehicles that are eaten up completely, and others nearby that have just minor surface rust.

I need some parts myself for upcoming projects or upgrades, I need to go see what's available soon too.

Sounds like those are what i am going to be getting those coil over shocks then, i can live with a little more notice on pot holes. I dont keep a ton of weight in the back but i do keep straps chains recievers tools water ect ect back there at all times so there is at least a extra 100lbs back there and i did fit my 31X10.50 in the spare wheel well so i know it weighs a bit more as well. might be just right!

thanks a lot guys, think I’m going to get those Monroe’s for the back and ditch the air ride. Also got KYB’s for the front already. Appreciate the info

I want to replace all shocks on my 99 v8 explorer. I believe I have an automatic air ride suspension in the back? I hear it turn on sometimes in the back not really familiar with it. Lordco said they don’t even have listings for what shocks work for me. Any advice? Thank you

I got on this a little late but mbe it helps someone /sim. prob just got 4 gabriel proguards frm R.auto #61624 61623 for less $50 for my 97 XLT/ 218K mi. got it frm my uncle in 2011 it had 85K then.I think orig. had been rplcd. but the ones on it were shot.Shure rides a lot better and I think 4 for $50 hard to beat.

I want to replace all shocks on my 99 v8 explorer. I believe I have an automatic air ride suspension in the back? I hear it turn on sometimes in the back not really familiar with it. Lordco said they don’t even have listings for what shocks work for me. Any advice? Thank you

if i could get mine to raise just that much it would be perfect!!! it was pretty level but i think i hauled to much weight with it a time to many, it never seemed to come back after hauling my tractor around.

Back