99 V8 Sport AWD "Black Beauty" | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 V8 Sport AWD "Black Beauty"

Hi every one out there. My name is Chris and I drive a 99 Explorer Sport. It used to be a 4.0 SOHC 4X4 and now it has new life as a 5.0 V8 AWD. Right now she sits on stock sizes tires with rims off of a 2010 Ranger. Any ways the girl friend likes to name all of my cars so she named it Black Beauty. So now I guess I need to do some black out work. Any way here is a list of mods that have been done and a list of what will be done.

Mods Include

Interior
01 Sport Seats
01 Sport Instrument Cluster w/LED's
Remote Start with Alarm installed by me.
Sony Head Unit
Pioneer Speakers in the front
Cerwin Vega Speakers in the rear
Kicker CVX 10" 1200 Watt max subwoofer
JL Stealth Subwoofer Box
Rockford Fosgate p500-2 1000 Watt max amp
LED Interior lighting (Dome Lights)

Exterior
Bug Deflector
Billit Grill
Fully Debadged
Roof Rack Removed
Side Steps Removed
18inch Rims
Stock turn signals to clear corners (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=87602)
Tinted 3rd Brake Light
Tinted Tail Lights

Performance
5.0L V8 Swap
Mac CAI bought from VroomZoomBoom
Custom Exhaust

Engine
Replaced Both Upstream O2 Sensors 3/19/2014

Suspension
4 Door Leaf Pack
2 inch lowering blocks in the rear
Caster/Camber adjusters
Custom length sway bar end links
TT in the front
KYB Gas-a-Just shock in the rear.

Transfer Case & Differential
4406 Manual Shift 4X4 T-Case Swap
Custom Rear Drive Shaft bought from VroomZoomBoom with u joint Precision 354 at axle and Precision 232 at transfer case
F150 front drive shaft with conversion u joint Precision 353 at axle and Precision 354 at transfer case
D35 w/4.10 open
8.8 w/4.10 Traction Lock

Lighting
Fog lamps modded to stay on with high beams
HID Head Lights
Led Puddle Lights
Led License Plat Lights
LED Strip Under Hatch

Mods Coming Soon

Performance
Electric fan
TM Headers
1 inch Intake Spacer

Exterior
Black Powder Coated Billit Grill
Black Head Light with diamond lenses retro fitted with projectors.
Color Match Trim to body color

Lighting
HIID Fog Lights
22" Cree LED Zombi Lights

Interior
Add Zombie Lights Switch
Add Reverse Lights Switch
Add Inverter Switch

I will keep this first post updated with mods as I can. Thanks for looking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I must say I love having this 4406 in my truck. To day has been the first day that I could really use it. We are having frozen rain. I must say it is so much fun to be-able to go mess around in 2wd then switch to 4wd and truck along like its no big deal. I also like how I can shift from 2wd to 4wd then back at 30mph and it just don't care.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey are you having wheel hop or pinion slap?

I cant say that I have had either one of them problems.

I saw you asking about the factory ladder bars on the v8 4doors in the other thread, that one looked like it was gonna turn into an argument about gear oil so I came here, any way I was just wondering what you wanted them for, what kind of issue are you having? ect, I always wanna know what other v8 sports have going on.

I really have not had an issue with wheel hop. I was just looking it to it because I am thinking about a power adder. just looking for options if wheel hop does occur.

i dont have wheel hop right now. but then again, my diff is open. i have a track lok that i am going to be putting in shortly however. that might change things. the only thing i have is wheel spin....lots of it...

i dont have wheel hop right now. but then again, my diff is open. i have a track lok that i am going to be putting in shortly however. that might change things. the only thing i have is wheel spin....lots of it...

Time for four big sticky tires?

Well I do have a limited slip diff with the carbon fiber cobra clutch pack it in. I rebuilt the diff a week after I put in the 4406. I'm pretty sure I have not had any wheel hop. I guess I need to go and do some testing.

Today I replaced both upstream O2 sensors hoping that will take care of my check engine light for my dpfe sensor.

Is this a new problem?

No it is not a new problem I have been fighting with it for right at a year now.

I just saw your thread

A few updates. I cleaned the head lights and tinted the tail lights. What do you all think.
20140326_201313.jpg

20140326_184338.jpg

20140327_172050.jpg

Well I wanted to make sure I still have a good amount of light with the tint so I added this.
1691.jpg

1701.jpg

1681.jpg

I bet you can see a lot better backing up at night!!!

It does help a bit backing up at night. Now I want to upgrade my regular reverse lights to match the LED bar a bit better.

I found my next addition. I have to have this. If you go to their web site they have a ton of different switches for every thing. They have reverse lights, shower, water pump, winch, inverter, beer fridge, and more. http://www.aironboard.com
AOBSW506G600.jpg

Back