• Register Today It's free!

99 wont stay running

FDNYEMT

Reaction score
City, State
North Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
1999 sport with 40,000 miles. No engine lights or anything. no mods.

I start the truck, and unless my foot is on the gas it will die. If my foot is on the gas it will run fine, as soon as i take it off, it dies. It doesnt so this all the time. Its random. I will have to go through starting the car like this for about 30 minutes before it will stay running, and then its fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder also if the could be a TPS sensor. Maybe it's not giving the computer a correct reading of the throttle position at idle.

yeah... that's the IAC symtoms exactly. cleaning it may work for a temp fix but will likely need to be replaced before too long.

yes, i cleaned it and the truck starts up much nicer. i ordered a new one already to replace the old one. thanks guys.

Sympathetic

FDNYEMT said:
1999 sport with 40,000 miles. No engine lights or anything. no mods.

I start the truck, and unless my foot is on the gas it will die. If my foot is on the gas it will run fine, as soon as i take it off, it dies. It doesnt so this all the time. Its random. I will have to go through starting the car like this for about 30 minutes before it will stay running, and then its fine.
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. IT SEEMS TO HAPPEN MOST OF TIME LOW PRESSURE(RAIN) IN AREA. I WAS THINKING MAP SENSOR. WE HAD STORM LAST NIGHT AND HAD TO LEAVE ON SIDE OF ROAD BECAUSE IT WOULDN'T KEEP RUNNING. UP UNTIL NOW IT WOULD RUN FINE AFTER A FEW MINUTES. ANY MORE INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Hi fella's, my 99 Explorer is missing, is this the same problem.

Cheers Baz.

Bill, my 2001 Explorer is doing the same when its raining or has been raining. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold. It'll start and keep running if I drive with both feet, one on the gas other on the brake. Read in another thread to clean the IAC, I did and it didn't help. I can hear the fuel pump whine when I turn the key on so its not the pump. Any other suggestions? I've asked theses questions in other posts, wish we all could get together in the same post...theres dozens post about this same problem.

buy some chemtool b12 carb and choke cleaner and spray the iac to clean it. i did it to my 92 lumina. it did a good job.

Back