99 xlt rear end removal/install help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 xlt rear end removal/install help

twiggy1029

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
I have a '99 explorer xlt with a 4.10 limited slip differental and was wanting to know if i could replace it with a 3.27 differential that isnt limited slip. The tag on the 4.10 says S615E and the tag off the one i want to switch it with says S610E. If its possible, does anyone have how-to for that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you 2wd, and, or 4wd? What is the 3.27 axle out of?

Are you 2wd, and, or 4wd? What is the 3.27 axle out of?
Its a 2wd and its out of another ford explorer but im not sure what year or if it was 2wd or 4wd.

WHY???

Why would you want to remove a 4.1 axle and replace with a 3.27?

YES since you are rear wheel drive you can swap axles.
All 95-01 V6 rear axles will interchange = unbolt the old, bolt in the new, bleed brakes, fill diff with fluid
Your speedometer will be waaaay off since you went from 4.1 to 3.27 would require some tuning to get the speedometer back to close

Why do you want to remove the 4.10 limited slip?

WHY???

Why would you want to remove a 4.1 axle and replace with a 3.27?

YES since you are rear wheel drive you can swap axles.
All 95-01 V6 rear axles will interchange = unbolt the old, bolt in the new, bleed brakes, fill diff with fluid
Your speedometer will be waaaay off since you went from 4.1 to 3.27 would require some tuning to get the speedometer back to close

Why do you want to remove the 4.10 limited slip?
It is no good, it makes a terrible sound going more than 20 mph.

Back