• Register Today It's free!

99 XLT stereo won't come out

Flippindabird

Reaction score
City, State
The Pocono Mountains
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 AWD V8 Mountaineer
So I bought a new head unit for the wifes mountaineer, got the "tool" @ Walmart and removed her old headunit right in the parking lot... The tools pop'd in and she slid right out... So I got home and I remembered a I have a Sony xplode cd player that I pulled out of my firebird drag car... So what the hay I'll put it in the exploder... Well the tool goes in, no "snap/click" to let u know it engaged... And they just pull back out... This thing use to be my motherinlaws so I know she never tried to remove the radio but it seems to me it must have been tampered with because it will mot come out... Now my question is, is there any other way to remove the radio? I tried to remove the trim piece but it is held in there firmly around the hvAc controls... Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks for readin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are no visible bolts... Where are they located... I will try to get some pics tomorrow

right above the hvac controls, you have to look from a low angle, or you should be able to feel them.

001.jpg

Source: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46290&highlight=removing+radio

Ok thanks man I will check it out tomorrow and let u know what happens

You don't have to remove those to pull th radio with the tools. If the tools don't work, you can pull those, pop the entire black bezel out, and manually push the clips from behind...

If I remember correctly, you insert the tools, then push them both towards the center of the radio, then pull...

Actually, IIRC you pull the tools away from the center of the radio to release the clips. And I've had to pull a few that the tools didn't click into. Even if you don't feel them click into place you may still be able to use the tools to pull the HU. Push the tools in until you feel some resistance, then pry the tools gently outwards (away from the center of the radio) and pull out. The tools may slide out a little before grabbing the radio. This has worked for me about 80% of the time when it didn't seem like the tools were clicking into place. If this doesn't work you can still remove the two bolts and pull the bezel as mentioned before. Let us know how youmake out!

Lol I tried both ways in and out and the "tools" bent each way, and light pressure results in the "tools" pulling out, I tried for about half an hour in 15 degree weather... Then when I couldn't feel my hands I tried the bezel... But it wouldnt come out past the hvAc due to the bots that I didn't know were there lol, going home today I'll see what I can do, thanks for everyones help

Just pull the two bolts out, pop the bezel off and release the clips from behind with a screwdriver or your hand. That's how I've always done it.

Worked perfect...
Now on to the next, gotta make this pioneer hu work with the factory amp and subwoofer, Im gonna go look I think there's a thread about it, also gonna read Joe Dirt's thread about adding aftermarket amp and sw I gotta see if I can make a hole for a 10 where the 8 is

If you do go aftermarket, you can always just bypass the amp and sub and run new power leads and RCA's to a new amp and your new sub. A new 10" would really need a better amp than the factory one anyhow...

Post up if you need help! :thumbsup:

Back