• Register Today It's free!

99XLT A/C question

TOMC

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I live in the desert. it is hot hot hot.
The AC on my Explorer is usually set on MAX which recirculates the air within the vehicle. Lately I have noticed that when I am accelerating hard, Or on a long steep uphill grade, The A/C quits blowing air out of the vents. I can still hear the fan running.

As soon as the load on the engine is over the A/C returns to normal.

I realize that this is a vacuum actuated damper problem. My explorer has 67,000 miles and the V6 SOHC engine runs strong. I have looked for vacuum leaks on the engine without finding anything. The power brakes are not affected. The engine vacuum is good, but I can't put enough load on the engine in my garage to make anything happen to the A/C.

I suspect that there is a small vacuum leak on the A/C control itself which only affects the A/C dampers when engine vacuum is down during open throttle situations.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there anything that I may have missed?

You have a great forum here, thanks

Its supposed to do that. When at WOT (Wide open throttle) the A/C will shut off to give you more power for accelerating ie getting on to highway etc....

we're having the same problem on our 97 v8. Doesn't just do it at wot, either. Does it any time you come off a steady cruise, even a little. It works fine in the normal position, but max craps out. I suspect a vacuum leak, too. My theory is it may be in the switching mechanism in the dash, but I haven't had time to chase it. Too busy trying to do ball joints!

Hopefully somebody else has seen this and fixed it.

Back