A.A. 5.0 headers

greenbeer

Another day, Another dent
Reaction score
City, State
Gresham, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I'm usually pretty good at searching and I looked all over the net and could not find any user reviews or install info for you... :dunno:

I sent them a question about the 5.0 explorer fitment. If I don't hear from them today, I'll call and ask. I'll post their answer here.

Well, AA got right back to me. Their headers only fit 91-94 Explorers for a v8 conversion. He suggested I use stock manifolds, which, of course, I have. So, the search continues. I'm not about to stroke my engine to 347 unless I can do better on the exhaust. Anyone else have any ideas? I'm fresh out.

..For headers concerning a 347 stroker in a second gen, contact moderator "Turdle" as he knows all about the 347 and what works well with it..;)

..I'm waiting here to see if any of the Ranger guys chime in about these headers for a Ranger..:popcorn:

Ok, Turdle, what do you have to say about this subject? Is it worth it with stock exhaust?

..The subject of this thread is AA 5.0 headers..;)

..You could start a new thread of your own in the need for speed sub forum as you will probably have several questions develop during the course of your project which does not include the use of these headers from Advance Adapters...

Thanks for the info, guys. I missed out on the group buy for the TM headers and have had absolutely no luck getting a hold of ANYONE in that company about getting some ordered. Both my manifolds are so badly split at this point, I think I'm going to have to park the explorer until I figure something out. I just replaced the passenger side with a Dorman unit 20k miles ago, and it's already split again... Seems kind of pointless to do all that over again for a poorly designed/ restrictive product!

The stock 99 up cast manifolds will flow better than the 99 down tubular style. You can find them on ebay--rockauto-etc.
Unless you are building a high rpm motor for high hp, I'd say you'll be ok with them. That is, as long as you keep the revs below 5500 rpm's.

I ran my 347 on stock manifolds for quite a while BTW.

Other than making them yourself, Torquemonster headers are your only option. Google Al's headers, they make them now. Be persistent and call them on the phone, over and over if that is what it takes. Rumor has it 55 sets just left jet hot coating ready for shipping out. If you are ready to buy now I am sure you will be taken care of. Just remember, it is a one man show, and he makes headers for several applications. Keep calling!!

Edit. If your 97 has internal egr it does not have the "p" heads. You might want those--

The 99 up manifolds might not play well with the non angled plugs. You will also need to plug the egr port on 99 up manifolds.

I've been thinking about the 99 and up manifolds for some time now, my 01 had them and they looked way more sturdy than my 97's. It's a stock driver for now, I just want the damn exhaust reliable. It's been a bullet proof truck and this is my only issue with it. It bugs the hell out of me, especially on cold mornings. If the cast manifolds don't crack and I can't get my hands on some TM's, then maybe ill just go that route...

..What happened with the Ranger?

If you're asking about my Level II, I sold it a couple years ago. It's now owned by a custom 4x4 shop in Newport, Oregon. One of the worst decisions of my life... But can't complain too much, owned it for six years and sold it for $500 less than I paid for it! I've thought about trying to buy it back, but now's not the time. I will probably find another just like it someday and do a 5.0 swap.

Back