A broke this Thingamajig. What is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A broke this Thingamajig. What is it?

cook90

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer XLT
Hi all-

While replacing the spark plugs, my watch caught on this small, plastic tube and it broke. It runs from a spherical, metal ball below the windshield washer container to a wire bundle behind the engine oil filler neck. Here's a photo link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/cook1990/JaneSPhotos5172010#5579906587039733618

It is apparently an air tube because air whistles out of it when the engine is running. I've also gotten a check engine light with a P0420 code (Catalyst efficiency low - bank1).

Here are my questions:

1. What is the name of the tube that I've broken?
2. Is it a part readily available at a discount parts store or am I going to have to find it at a junkyard?
3. How do I fix it?
4. Is my check engine light related to the broken tube?

Thanks.
dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is a vaccum line. needed for proper engine run. cap it off temporary and get it fixed

That is your vaccum globe line. Without that your vents will be stuck on defrost. Should be pretty easy to put back together. I found 1/4" air line fits snug right over the stock line.

You should be able to pull the broken peice out and put the end of the line back in the rubber fitting.

That is your vaccum globe line. Without that your vents will be stuck on defrost. Should be pretty easy to put back together. I found 1/4" air line fits snug right over the stock line.

You should be able to pull the broken peice out and put the end of the line back in the rubber fitting.

Yes, my vents are stuck on defrost. So your recommended fix is to get a 1/4" air line (outside diameter or inside diameter?), insert it into the fitting and then insert the broken end into the 1/4" air line?

I was wondering why I was stuck on defrost. Does this have any relation to the check engine light?

Thanks.

Yes, my vents are stuck on defrost. So your recommended fix is to get a 1/4" air line (outside diameter or inside diameter?), insert it into the fitting and then insert the broken end into the 1/4" air line?

I was wondering why I was stuck on defrost. Does this have any relation to the check engine light?

Thanks.

Should not have anything to do with the CEL but if you are loosing alot of vaccum then it could cause it.

Since its broken so close it the rubber peice just pull the small part of the broken line out of the rubber connector and put the line thats hanging right into the rubber peice and it should fit snug enough to fix it without even having to go to the store.

I have a parts truck with a good line if you want to replace the whole thing. I could even include some 1/4 airline to fix it if it ever breaks too.

Problem solved

I reinserted the broken vacuum globe line into the rubber mount as described above and that appears to have fixed two problems........1. the heater now works normally instead of blowing only out of the defrost........2. the check engine light (code P0420) extinguished after resetting the battery.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Back