• Register Today It's free!

A/C Blower Motor

Arluster1974

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer Limited
My 1996 Limited blower motor stopped working all the sudden while sitting in traffic. I checked all fuses in in the circuit and none are blown, funny thing is the rear unit works just fine just wont blow as cold before the main blower went out.

Need help on this one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the EATC? Was there any burnt odor? There is a good chance the electronic blower motor controler shorted out, overheated and self destructed. This happens from dirt getting on the contacts. This part is located in the fan box facing the drivers side.

You can disconnect the wiring harness for the fan, located on the passenger side behind the glove compartment. Check for voltage when the rotary dial is at the high position. If there is no voltage this part is most likely gone, and you have to buy a new one from Ford (an online dealer will give you a good price, they are around 60 bucks I think).

If there is voltage, your fan motor may be shot.

Man you are right on the money, right before the ac cut off my wife asked me if I smelled something burning and 3 seconds later the front blower cut off. Yes I have the EATC I replaced the blower motor and that wasn't it so i'm hoping the controller is the problem.

Man you are right on the money, right before the ac cut off my wife asked me if I smelled something burning and 3 seconds later the front blower cut off. Yes I have the EATC I replaced the blower motor and that wasn't it so i'm hoping the controller is the problem.

Too late in your case, I would suggest to others as PM to remove the controller, and clean the contacts with CRC electrical circuit cleaner before it is too late. Good that you replaced the blower motor, because when they do fail they can take that controller with it, since they draw excessive current. The replacement controller has to be spliced in and comes in a kit. Your best bet is from an online dealer, because there is no aftermarket.

Too late in your case, I would suggest to others as PM to remove the controller, and clean the contacts with CRC electrical circuit cleaner before it is too late. Good that you replaced the blower motor, because when they do fail they can take that controller with it, since they draw excessive current. The replacement controller has to be spliced in and comes in a kit. Your best bet is from an online dealer, because there is no aftermarket.

Is the controller located under the motor? I noticed an electrical connection to a small pak with 4 screws in it.

Is the controller located under the motor? I noticed an electrical connection to a small pak with 4 screws in it.

bottom of motor ...its directly under the air tube.

I'm looking for the blower control module online but I cant find it anywhere. The only part I'm finding is the resistor.

Any recommendations?

I'm looking for the blower control module online but I cant find it anywhere. The only part I'm finding is the resistor.

Any recommendations?

You mean on the trademotion sites? I dont see it either. You may have to call a dealer and get a partnumber and go from there.

The device you need is indeed a resistor of sorts. That is if you are talking about the one that goes in the rectangular hole directly below the flexible rubber hose.
IMG_4934.jpg

I have one for sale, if you need it. PM me if so.

Ok I found the blower control module and it should arrive tommorrow. I'll let you know how things go once I have it installed.

New blower module in a/c blower running again.

Thanks

fastpartsnetwork.com $54.26 (when I replaced mine)

Updated part number is XL2Z19E624AA

fastpartsnetwork.com $54.26 (when I replaced mine)

Updated part number is XL2Z19E624AA

thanks guys ...this is for the auto climiate control system and not the regular ac system right ?

Yeah, the regular controls replacement part is $14.

I have a 96 limited and am experiencing this same problem. While driving yesterday, I noticed what smelled like something burning. When I went out to the truck today, the blower is no longer working for the front seats (the rear blower still works, and blows cold).

I was reading this thread:
http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200288

and they show this site as the piece I might need: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...ryZ46094QQihZ005QQitemZ150168416029QQtcZphoto

Is that what I am looking for?

Also, I have visited the fastpartsnetwork site and this is the part someone else mentioned: XL2Z19E624AA

THats what I need correct? THanks, Todd.

I'm pretty sure all the Limiteds have EATC, and from what I understand there are 2 versions of the resistor--those for EATC and those for manual units. You'll want to make sure you have the right part, I'm sure someone here can identify which one is right part. You'll probably need the EATC unit.

I seem to remember, too, that someone here had trouble with the harness that connected to the resistor melting when the resistor failed, too. You might want to check and make sure that's still useable.

The rear blower works because it's separate from the front one and is contained in the center console.

Edit: From this thread, it looks like that's the right one...

ANyone have any idea what a part # would be for this?

The ebay site that auctioned one listed: ford # F77H-19E624-AA

But i have not been able to get any results with this.

I am wondering if autozone would carry this part, or be able to get it. Thanks, Todd.

EDIT: sorry, I found it:

Updated part # for future reference is : F7SZ-19E624-BB

Do you have the EATC? Was there any burnt odor? There is a good chance the electronic blower motor controler shorted out, overheated and self destructed. This happens from dirt getting on the contacts. This part is located in the fan box facing the drivers side.

You can disconnect the wiring harness for the fan, located on the passenger side behind the glove compartment. Check for voltage when the rotary dial is at the high position. If there is no voltage this part is most likely gone, and you have to buy a new one from Ford (an online dealer will give you a good price, they are around 60 bucks I think).

If there is voltage, your fan motor may be shot.

What does EATC mean?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have the EATC Blower Controller for sale? NeedForSpeed3685 offered me one, but I have not been able to get a hold of him since. It is getting very hot out (FLORIDA), and I don't have a blower!

PLEASE! Thanks in advance, Todd.

Back