• Register Today It's free!

A/C blowing high to low

heath223

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xls, 04 xlt
My A/C in my 98 Explorer has started blowing slower when the engine revs. Example... I will have the A/C on high and it is blowing high then I start up a hill or pull off fast from a stop or just accelerate pretty good wile driving and the air flow slows or stops and a couple times it has even started blowing out the defrost vents.

I had the intake manifold/gasket replaced 6 months ago so could it be an issue with vacuum (if the controlls for the A/C work off vacuum)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for that but mine is blowing from the vents and I can switch from vents to defrost fine it's just without making a change my fan blows slower or either something is going on with the vent selection and some air is being diverted elsewhere or to the defrost? but I have seen a couple times where it definatly starts blowing out the defrost then once I ease off the gas it will divert back to the vents.

If the Fan is really slowing down I don't have an idea...

If the air moves from the dash to the defrost when you lose vacuum then the vacuum ball or check valve must be having an issue.

~Mark

I did check it and it is not the motor slowing down. When the air decreases at the vents I can feel a little air coming from the defrost. I guess I need to start checking for vacuum leaks? Could this have anything to do with having the intake manifold replaced, other than if they damaged a vacuum line when they changed it.

Back