A/c Blows hot air?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/c Blows hot air??

SuperSix1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Hey guys sorry if this is some problem that has a specific name and I just didn't read it but I read about 30+ threads about A/c and didn't see one that matched mine (im sure it is I just didn't know what to look for) .....

Anyway here’s the problem. In the winter/cold days my heat works great and everything runs fine but when summer rolls around or a hot day the only time my A/C works/blows cool air is when its cold outside if its 70-100+ degrees nothing but hot air on every setting (max a/c, A/c). Just wondering if anyone knew what that sounded like or what it was and how many dollars I'd be paying lol.

Thanks for any help or input

Have a good draft weekend
:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was the system charged before this started happening? There could be too much refrigerant in it.

well since it came into my possession i 06 I have never had it looked at for A/C issues nor charged it. It might have started in mid to late 06 but I just didn't do anything about it.

looking for some help please my windows wont go down fuse is good under hood and i dont have any power at my switches does anyone have any idea if their is a inline fuse someplace

the blend door or the electric motor is broken. both was the case in my expedition i'm sure that the explorer has the same set-up

the blend door or the electric motor is broken. both was the case in my expedition i'm sure that the explorer has the same set-up

I was thinking about it today for a few hrs after I posted the thread could it be it just needs a recharge I remeber it worked and then one day maybe 1-3 mo's after I got the car it just in mid driving switched to hot air? might that just mean it ran outta charge/ r134 or w/e?

I was thinking about it today for a few hrs after I posted the thread could it be it just needs a recharge I remeber it worked and then one day maybe 1-3 mo's after I got the car it just in mid driving switched to hot air? might that just mean it ran outta charge/ r134 or w/e?

The blend door is a common problem but you said it blows cool air if ambient temp is under 70. Cool or cold?

Make sure the compressor is coming on. It won't if the charge is too low.

98 Ford Explorer AC issues

Hi all,
After reading previous posts, I was wondering if he had ever really solved the A/C issue because I have one similar.... but a little different..!

I was driving my explorer with the A/C on one day and went to adjust the temp to make it not so cool... At that point the A/C just started blowing heat and would not return to cool using the A/C temp dial. I was able to notice though that if I put it on Max AC that it did begin to cool off but not like "cold" cold as before (like it was a blended cold with a little heat too).

Under the hood, when the AC (not max ac) was used, the water/heater control valve would open thus allowing the hot water to circulate and it caused the heat to blow. When Max AC was set, the valve would then close.

I had replaced the heater Blend Door control switch (the control that goes from max AC to Defrost) in the switch panel but it has made no difference... I did this because now even using the MAX AC setting it sometimes gets cool, but sometimes heat will blow as well. I thought that maybe the switch itself had a small vacuum leak on the inside as it connects to multiple lines.

So the compressor is coming on, the water is condensing on the A/C Accumulator like normal. I had the system recharged and it is at the appropriate pressure, etc.

I went through the vacuum system as well and found no leaks or anything that could be causing these problems... even when the car is off the vacuum storage maintains it's suction/pressure.

It feels like I am just buying random parts now with out any knowledge of what it could actually be.

Does any one have a clue or had gone through something similar? Any insight would be largely appreciated....
John

I still haven't fixed mine or even got it looked at I've been busy buying other things :D buttt it's been doing it forever kinda like what you said just one random day blowing cold air it switched to heat and now if its like 0-70 degrees it will blow cold air(or cool but I couldn't make it freezing if I wanted it) but anyway the only thing that works is the heat if its ice cold out side I get normal heat and sometimes even on low to medium settings it gets VERY hot in the car.

Sry I haven't had any luck and it looks like you've had everything checked I just hope I don't get freeon and everything checked and am in your position.

Hey thanks for your reply,

I guess the only option is to take it somewhere and have someone run diagnostics on it or something.. I have always fixed all of my own cars so the thought if paying someone $65-$75hr to do many of the things I have already done just scares me... I hope it will be a simple fix.... Will probably wait a bit to see if someone else posts, but in the event that I get it fixed before a solution is proposed.... I'll let you know what the exact problem was. I will say that I really had hard time finding the temperature control switch (OEM part # F57H-19C733-AB)... any ideas? John :biggthump

I have the same problem on a 1997 Explorer Sport. The only cool air I get is on Max A/C. It just started acting that way one day. All other settings provide full hot and the temp rheostat does not seem to have any effect on temp. I can hear the flapper or blend door opening and closing. The heater control valve must be open all the time as the heater hose is always hot. The compressor cycles properly and the lines from the condensor to the evaporator and from the evaporator to the compressor get really cold so it is not a lack of freon. There are no blown A/C fuses. I suspect a vacuum problem with the A/C switch on the dash controller assembly somehow or the heater/AC valve is stuck.

I HATE the idea of paying some pirate dealer $90 an hour to tell me what is wrong and charge me 5 hours of labor to do a 2 hour job (especially now that they are in max $$ grubbing mode) BUT, after checking all the above the Haynes manual says, " Further inspection or testing of the system is beyond the scope of the home mechanic and should be left to a professional."

Just got done working on the wifes 97 ac, one thing that I found out. DO not trust the heater shutoff valve. I could see the little lever on the outside move, but both hoses were hot. I used a special pair of padded vice grips to pinch one of the hoses closed, and the air started comming out as cold as ever.

I pulled the valve and found that the insides were broken, water was never shutting off. The local auto part store has a good functional replacement (slightly different, but fit with no modifications) valve for under $20.

This message goes to all of you who had posted relevant problems (Supersix1, Swanne, Dilbert5)...
I have been through all of the "in's and out's" of my 98 Explorer's AC issues and finally found the problem to be the blend door.
Below are symptoms and causes learned from this escapade...

Both hoses through firewall are hot when A/C is on? This will be your flow-through valve (it is in your engine compartment and attached to on of the two hoses sticking out of your firewall)... just replace it! It can be done in five minutes.. It is common though that something may be blocking the valve from closing... is your water rust colored.. I found this to be the case in mine and after replacing the valve, I drained and flushed the cooling system with an additive to dissolve corrosion and replaced the antifreeze coolant. i also added a corrosion and leak inhibitor found at any local automotive store.

Blowing cool on cool days and hot on hot days....? Believe it or not... if your system is charged, water is condensing, compressor working, etc... the blend door in the heater plenum will make it feel like the a/c is not working when it allows the hot air to flow through... This was the case with mine. I found several articles with people complaining about the fact that ford used crappy parts in a place so hard to get to... The blend door is a part easily ordered from Rockauto.com for $20 but in my case would have been $800-1200 labor for replacing it. In fact, the heater plenum in mine could only be removed after removing the whole dashboard and steering column. A real pain but great lesson in understanding the way it works!

In fact, once I got the dash and everything all out, I was surprised to see that the heater box/plenum actually had a few more screws/nuts that had to be removed in the engine compartment on the firewall... Oh yeah, not the mention that it was heat sealed shut and had to be reopened by cutting the seam with a torch & a hot razor... (the dealership wanted $290 for a new heater box, but it was just the plastic door inside that was broken)

If you take it on, just be careful and patient, there are too many things that can break that will lead to you having a bigger headache... Before diving into to such a project though, do yourself a favor... take the blend door motor/actuator off and test it? It is right behind the glove box (which can be opened fully by pressing in the sides) and can be pried off just with a screw driver as it just snaps into place.... turn you key to the "on" position and moved the temp dial... if the motor turns when changing temp (without clicking.... the most common problem being stripped gears) then the problem is the blend door that it moves. Take a small mechanics pen/mirror and see if you can angle it to look at the top of the pivoting point of the blend door... One that is not cracked/broken will look like a elongated "D"

I did everything I could from having limited automotive/mechanical knowledge but ended up ordering and replacing the control assembly, heater flow-through valve, charging the system, replacing the actuator, etc... In the end, I just asked a local repair shop to diagnose the problem and paid him $50 for his time and effort... I should have done this a long time ago.

I know that these things could seem overwhelming at first, but in the end... the sense of accomplishment and the fact that everything works just the way it did when I first purchased the vehicle made the long weekend well worth it.... if you should take on the project and need any help.. I'll do what I can to post advice on what i had personally encountred.... Best of luck to all of you!
John

thanks for the indepth heads up thats my real concern is that I want to learn and pull things apart and make it all work myself but its different when your doing it on a car you drive and one you can play around with lol... But I will be sure to bring it up with my a/c guy when I'm there and if its between 300-600 I might just do it but anymore and I might dive in:salute:

Hey Supersix1....

Here is the part from www.rockauto.com :
1997 FORD EXPLORER 5.0L 302cid V8 MFI (P) : Heat & Air Conditioning : Heater Blend Door DORMAN Part # 902202 $18.12

But here are some links that may be useful if you don't want to go through the whole shibang.....

Quick fixes
http://www.blenddoorfix.netfirms.com/ (this one looks the best to me as it has details description and pics)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183742
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/12/085/article/Ford_Explorer_Blend_Door_Fix.html
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f101b48

Hey Supersix1....

Here is the part from www.rockauto.com :
1997 FORD EXPLORER 5.0L 302cid V8 MFI (P) : Heat & Air Conditioning : Heater Blend Door DORMAN Part # 902202 $18.12

But here are some links that may be useful if you don't want to go through the whole shibang.....

Quick fixes
http://www.blenddoorfix.netfirms.com/ (this one looks the best to me as it has details description and pics)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183742
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/12/085/article/Ford_Explorer_Blend_Door_Fix.html
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f101b48

thanks man :thumbsup:

Johnnorwood - The blend door is a common issue with our trucks and there are tons of threads and a sticky thread on top as well that deals with the issue.

It's a 30 min repair job if you follow any of the short cuts in the blend door sticky thread. The dash does not need to come out. I repaired mine by going through the bottom of the plennum, it was very easy to do.

Glad you figured it out, sorry you did it the hard way. You should have searched a bit more on here, the topic has been covered many times on here. Even google will find some very good hits on a Ford Explorer Blend Door Repair search.

Thanks my98nnj,

I did quite a bit of searching before I replaced the blend door and was able to see the posts on quick repairs as well. Thanks for advising me though. The reason I wanted to pull things apart and do the more thorough job is because i had read on many of the quick fix posts that afterwards you were not supposed to turn the temp to all hot or cold (as if it put too much strain where the plenum was cut). It may just be a coincidence and not be true, but i did not want to take any chances. I was really impressed with the link/fix (see first link of previous post) where the pin was put into the blend door motor... Thanks for your advisement again, I really appreciate the fact that there are people out there that want to help others. John :)

my A/c only blows hot air when i turn it on. i filled the freon, checked all the fuses and relays, even replaced the air switch and nothing seems to make it work. i put a can of stuff that leaves a red dye and i never saw the dye and never saw it. i have read other threads where people jumped the compressor and it will turn, but i have no idea how to do that.

would any of you know what the problem is.

it worked fine one day and the next it didnt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it seems you have the same problem...

One day, I went to turn the A/C temp to adjust and from that point on... nothing but heat... it is the blend door or blend door actuator... There are all sorts of articles on it and a bit of a hassle to fix, but that is what it is most likely.... I paid an A/C repair shop $50 to diagnose and confirm and then just did it myself one weekend.... was not fun, but it is done and working back to normal... I hope it never happens again... Best of luck! I posted some links above that were the greatest help and instruction... I hope that these may help you as well....John

Back