A/C Clutch not engaging | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Clutch not engaging

Well I may as well comment, my 92 had a bad compressor, eventually the bearings in the pulley went too, swapped the belt and bypassed it. Then by pure luck found a person selling a refurbed compressor for 75 buckaroos, then decided he only wanted 60 for it and delivered it to my front door (woo-hoo!)

Picked up a new accumulator from the zone (came with new o-rings too holy crap) and a few canisters of r134. During this I'm constantly browsing and researching on this forum and other sites so I can do this perfect. Just happened to have an ac manifold set and vacuum pump AND r12 to r134 conversion connectors laying around from a completely different project that litteraly had absolutely nothing to do with ac systems and was intended for making jewelry... Don't ask...

So I cleaned and flushed my pipes. Then stuck a new compressor in and hooked it all up and then to the related topic of this thread, I couldn't get my compressor to engage the clutch.

So I'm thinking maybe my clutch on my new unused compressor is bad. But I didn't give up. Following the wiring I see that the (or what appears to be) low pressure switch is connected nearly directly to my power to the clutch. Testing a bit with my multimeter showed that everything appeared closed including the sensor itself and that I just wasn't receiving voltage. Well I noticed a slimy sorta sticky grease looking material on that very plug when I removed my accumulator. I figure it's some kinda corrosion or something, eventually I'll get around to cleaning it, almost reminds me of old Flux paste sitting on a copper terminal for too long.

So I figured that that would be the most likely problem area, I've dealt in electronic things, and I know green corrosion just makes for a very bad electrical connection especially at a measly 12 volts. So I have my old compressor funny enough against my gas pedal keeping the Motor at a steady 2k rpm and while trying to remove the plug from the sensor so I could jump it with a paperclip I hear that lovely click from my compressor. Well I was about to give up and drown my sorrows in a few bottles of beer but once I saw that my ac clutch is engaging with the pulley I drop that stupid idea and start feeding more refrigerant into the truck.

Well I topped it off at about 45 on my low end, not sure why my high is reading a little too high, it might be I'm not understanding how to read or when to read my pressures, doesn't matter, getting what feels like 45-50 degrees roughly and that's at an idle from my vents. So turns out it was, more or less, an infamous loose wire at the pressure gauge.

Also I will note the pressure should be lower with r134 than r12, or maybe it's higher, I can't Remember. I noticed a flathead screw in one side of the connection points of that pressure sensor. I'd assume the screw is for calibration. Don't know what or why but perhaps some problems could be fixed by adjusting it. Others by cleaning bad electronic connections.

It was fun hearing the compressor do the clicking from on to off to on again while the pressure wasn't as high, at one point the compressor just clicked on and stayed that way, I think it was about when the pressure read 40 on the low side dial.

If this was too much to read, then note that it was a bad connection, try jiggling the worst looking point until you get a result, then break out a multimeter if possible. I am dealing with a 92, so it's primarily simple solutions to problems, I'm pretty sure half my vacuum lines are either leaking transmission fluid into wherever, or are just clean broken, yet the only problems I have are with a slight torque converter shudder and a funky driver side rear door latch,and most recently but no longer, an air conditioning problem.

Yeah, that's all I have to say I guess. Tanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 98 Explorer where this just happened this week. In September, the a/c worked and today, the clutch does not engage.

Last year, I recharged the system because the compressor was short-cycling and it's blown cold air since then.

So either ALL of the R134A leaked out in a week, or something else is wrong.

I pulled the connector off the clutch and hooked a halogen lamp to the connector to see if it was getting power. No power.

The fuses and relays are numbered, but no indication of what does what function.

There may be a pressure switch somewhere in the system? (where?) Someone mentioned a diode too.

It was sudden.. a week ago, it worked fine. Today, nothing, not even a click from the clutch.

Any ideas where theses switches, diodes and relays are located?

I have a 2001 sport, and when I give the clutch 12v from the battery it just arcs. I made sure the wires are no touching on the clutch post. Does this mean the clutch is bad. My ac won't work and I have 50 psi on the low and high side, which usually mean the compressor is bad. Should I throw a NEW aftermarket compressor on?

It's possible to buy a replacement clutch instead of replacing the entire compressor.
Alright I'm going to try and throw on a new clutch and see if it works.

Back