Solved - A/C compressor bypass | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved A/C compressor bypass

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

AMMO_HOOAH

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT
Ok like quite a few on here my a/c compressor seized up on me, and burned the clutch up completly. Well I don't have the $250 at the moment to get a new or remaned one, so I decided to do it the old "duct tape and bailing twine" way. After about 45 minutes in the Auto Zone parking lot swapping belt after belt we finally found one that fits w/o a/c. For those of you that are going to ask I simply skipped it in the belt routing:
a8bdb634c7.jpg

Sorry it's a little fuzzy, but you get the gist. As you can see the red line is the new route. Everything turns how it is supposed to, and the tensioner is right where it was with the stock belt. No vibration or bouncing of the belt at all. Here is the part number for future referance for anyone who would like it:

Duralast 835K6

By the way this was done on my '96 5.0 if you couldn't guess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0 Belts.JPG

Thank you AMMO_HOOA

For those of us with the 4.0 OHV V6, the arrangement is below. The belt without the A/C can be selected when ordering.

sweet
I will likely do this on my BII since the compressor is there just not doing anything at the moment!

Lucky for you 4.0 guys you get the option off the bat, the guy at Auto Zone thought I was nuts when I told him what I was doing. He even tried to have me pay and return each belt that didn't work :rolleyes: Anyway hopefully this helps everyone that needs a quick fix.

Duralast 835K6 is the correct belt for the bypass.
The internet is the most FANTASTIC place ever!

I would like to thank AMMO_HOOAH for posting this info.
I had no idea how I was getting to work tomorrow.

This is a great example of how to post information so that people can find it.
Thanks again.

will this work on the sohc 4.0 I got the belt you said and it seems to big.

This is for the 5.0, for the 4.0 you just get the belt for the 4.0 without a/c they should give you the choice at the parts store.

Hi folks,

Same problem here. A/C compressor locked up. Thanks for the belt number, but I had one question. Is the routing of the belt the same? The original poster's picture doesn't show up for me. Thanks in advance...

-Rob

If you got the 4.0 engine it should have the diagram on the radiator support.
The belt will be shorter and go under the compressor pulley.

No, it's the 5.0. The original poster had a diagram, which can no longer be seen. (Bad link I guess) I just wanted to confirm the belt routing on the 5.0 motor.

Yes. Everything rotates the original direction.

Yes same minus the A/C.

I currently have a thread in the stock 95-01 explorers section about bypassing my failing a/c compressor. I have a 98 XLT 5.0 and want to make sure it is the same shorter belt Duralast 835K6 for the 98. Also, my understanding is i just route the shorter belt the same as the stock serpintine belt except going around the a/c compressor. Is this correct? Anyone have a picture of the correct routing diagram?

I put the shorter belt on and problem fixed. Thanks for the great tip.

Thanks for the tip, AMMO_HOOAH. Worked great on my 2000 XLT 5.0 and saved me a ton of grief.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks this saved so much time trying to figure out the belt size...

Back