• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Solved A/C compressor bypass

AMMO_HOOAH

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT
Ok like quite a few on here my a/c compressor seized up on me, and burned the clutch up completly. Well I don't have the $250 at the moment to get a new or remaned one, so I decided to do it the old "duct tape and bailing twine" way. After about 45 minutes in the Auto Zone parking lot swapping belt after belt we finally found one that fits w/o a/c. For those of you that are going to ask I simply skipped it in the belt routing:
a8bdb634c7.jpg

Sorry it's a little fuzzy, but you get the gist. As you can see the red line is the new route. Everything turns how it is supposed to, and the tensioner is right where it was with the stock belt. No vibration or bouncing of the belt at all. Here is the part number for future referance for anyone who would like it:

Duralast 835K6

By the way this was done on my '96 5.0 if you couldn't guess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

shamaal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Friensdwood, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
4.0 Belts.JPG

Thank you AMMO_HOOA

For those of us with the 4.0 OHV V6, the arrangement is below. The belt without the A/C can be selected when ordering.

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
sweet
I will likely do this on my BII since the compressor is there just not doing anything at the moment!

AMMO_HOOAH

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT
Lucky for you 4.0 guys you get the option off the bat, the guy at Auto Zone thought I was nuts when I told him what I was doing. He even tried to have me pay and return each belt that didn't work :rolleyes: Anyway hopefully this helps everyone that needs a quick fix.

kfarny

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, Wa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer LTD
Duralast 835K6 is the correct belt for the bypass.
The internet is the most FANTASTIC place ever!

I would like to thank AMMO_HOOAH for posting this info.
I had no idea how I was getting to work tomorrow.

This is a great example of how to post information so that people can find it.
Thanks again.

Bobcatt69

Reaction score
City, State
ST.Cloud,MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 4.0 sohc
will this work on the sohc 4.0 I got the belt you said and it seems to big.

AMMO_HOOAH

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT
This is for the 5.0, for the 4.0 you just get the belt for the 4.0 without a/c they should give you the choice at the parts store.

cbr rob

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Forest, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hi folks,

Same problem here. A/C compressor locked up. Thanks for the belt number, but I had one question. Is the routing of the belt the same? The original poster's picture doesn't show up for me. Thanks in advance...

-Rob

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
If you got the 4.0 engine it should have the diagram on the radiator support.
The belt will be shorter and go under the compressor pulley.

cbr rob

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Forest, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
No, it's the 5.0. The original poster had a diagram, which can no longer be seen. (Bad link I guess) I just wanted to confirm the belt routing on the 5.0 motor.

kfarny

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, Wa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer LTD
Yes. Everything rotates the original direction.

AMMO_HOOAH

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT
Yes same minus the A/C.

Knox5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Knox, Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
I currently have a thread in the stock 95-01 explorers section about bypassing my failing a/c compressor. I have a 98 XLT 5.0 and want to make sure it is the same shorter belt Duralast 835K6 for the 98. Also, my understanding is i just route the shorter belt the same as the stock serpintine belt except going around the a/c compressor. Is this correct? Anyone have a picture of the correct routing diagram?

Knox5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Knox, Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
I put the shorter belt on and problem fixed. Thanks for the great tip.

jwscrap

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD
Thanks for the tip, AMMO_HOOAH. Worked great on my 2000 XLT 5.0 and saved me a ton of grief.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Jennifer A Kojetin

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
Thanks this saved so much time trying to figure out the belt size...