a/c compressor clutch - replace or swap an entire compressor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a/c compressor clutch - replace or swap an entire compressor?

Evan6ardner

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 2WD
My sport trac has 225k miles. I've replaced a lot on my car, but nothing related to the A/C has faltered until now.

When the a/c clutch engages, I can start to hear a fairly loud rattling noise. It sounds like an oblong marble rattling around metal.

Anyway, so my question is: how difficult is it to replace the a/c clutch versus the entire a/c. If the clutch only rattles when it is engaged, then I should have no issue with the compressor itself, right? Is there a bearing that is somehow affected and possibly faulty within the compressor shaft even though it doesn't rattle?

If I do the whole compressor, I'll have to get the a/c drained and refilled... and that'd be another $200 or something I'm sure.

At 225k I'd replace the compressor and clutch together. $200 will be cheap compared to the repair cost if it pukes it's guts into the system.

I know.......it's not my $$$$

You're in Austin. Get up with Russell (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=17554)and let him check you out. He is "the man".

I just bought a "ToughOne" in stock at Advance Auto Parts. I had a good coupon. I got the accumulator, orfice filter, and compressor for $195.

I just bought a "ToughOne" in stock at Advance Auto Parts. I had a good coupon. I got the accumulator, orfice filter, and compressor for $195.

Thats a good price. I paid $187 for the same 3 parts from amazon last week. I also changes the compressor when the clutch started to have problems. I figure at 220k+miles on the 06 mustang ( with 4.0 sohc) I might as well do the entire compressor.

~Mark

Back