A/C Compressor clutch replacement

rc1626

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
Hey folks,
I'm looking to replace the a/c compressor clutch on my 99 5.0 Explorer. Looking for some hints/tips on getting the old clutch assembly off. It recently stopped engaging and after doing some troubleshooting I've narrowed it down to the clutch. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob

Hey folks,
I'm looking to replace the a/c compressor clutch on my 99 5.0 Explorer. Looking for some hints/tips on getting the old clutch assembly off. It recently stopped engaging and after doing some troubleshooting I've narrowed it down to the clutch. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob

It usually takes special tools to remove and reinstall and you have to set the air gap.You know,I can't for the life of me remember if you can do that job without draining the refrigerant....sucks getting old,I will look in my FSM and get back on that.:D

Thanks Safn1949,
I just found an article when I googled the subject. It was a step by step removal and reinstallation of the a/c compressor clutch for a mid 90's Ford Mustang. Everything looked exactly the same and it even spoke of setting the air gap and gave specific tolerances. Doesn't look too hard. Any additional info would be appreciated.
Rob

Here is a link to the article I'm referring to:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl168i.htm

Hope it helps someone else.

Good find on the article. FYI, most auto parts store have all the pullers/installers/holding tools you will need for this job, under their rental program.

Back