a/c compressor cycling on and off.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a/c compressor cycling on and off..

Reaction score
City, State
cape cod ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4x4
have a 2001 ford explorer sport...94k on it...when at idle and turned on to a/c..defrost...or the reg bi-level vent position...the compressor kicks on almost stalling engine..and cycling on and off very fast....anyone ever come across this? whats the fix? is it sensor or actual compressor....just started happening out of the blue...besides that great running suv....will not cycle fast when at cruise speed...aka 55mph or foot on throttle....help!:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

u need to take it somewhere and have it hooked up to a machine. if the refrigerant is low, it will cause the compressor to cycle rapidly. now the IAC should raise the engine rpm when the compressor is turned on @ idle. i would check to make sure that is working right also. there are high (and sometimes low) pressure cut-out switches which can cause preoblem also. they are 2-wire switches that you can check with a voltmeter to see if they have continuity. the high pressure cut-out is usually in a line and the low pressure one is usually in the top or side of the receiver/drier.(big silver or black can looking thing near firewall) any ways, we inly charged like $15 for the diagnostic check and some places may be free. but A/c isn't something you should play with yourself. it is dangerous and there are legal issues involved with servicing it. but good luck.

What he said... plus in Ford, the system is designed to "kick in" AC to dry the air when you select the setting that you have chosen... check your manual.

ok will have it checked....as far as checking manual and drying.thro a/c compressor..i dont think..having it on regular bi level vent..just to get some warm air compressor would kick on...i know it does when a/c use or even defrost..but not regular bi leve vent...face and foot....which makes me believe its a sensor and not actual coolant in compressor...but will take it too ford..yea i dont mess with a/c units..and from the look see under the hood the engine is too covered in plastic add ons and such that i wont mess with car at all....but thanks for both of your opinions..will def have it check out at ford stealership..haha..know anyone else that had this problem?

Nope... any time the upper level "stuff" is selected with a "two items" mode, AC is used. The only time upper level doesn't get AC is the "upper vent only" (the one besides the AC). ... at least that's how my manual reads.

well ill be damn..i didnt know that..i thought if ur on regular vents..nothing comes on but fan...esp when wanting warm air...dont have car/manual with me now but will def read on it...wow thats interesting...and kinda uses more gas...hhhmmmm...well ill read manual today and see whats up....thanks again...p.s if i put it on just face vent..nothing happens...not even click on of compressor....or foot vents ..but both then compressor kicks on..so wierd...tho i must say for 94k on it..im impressed...so far only thing needed for suv since purchased with 3500 miles on it ..was egr...brakes...uploading pics of suv in profile...but yes will read maual and go get it checked...about to take it from cape cod mass to FL for new years...whoo hooo...:thumbsup:

ok went to oil change place that had a dianostic machine..plud under steering wheel..they said it wasnt throwing any codes at all...check engine light not on...is there a eye i can look at to see if refrig is low in compressor? where is it? looked up the relay and fuse switches...took out a/c relay switch..which of coarse didnt make the compressor come on but! still pulling power somewhere...not off and on like compressor...tried pulling a/c relay...blower relay..any other help before i have to take it in...saw wire harnest in back of compressor..my guess is thats where its coming from..also about the same time..the overdrive switch went out..cant turn it on and off and rear defroster switch doesnt work...checked fuse but nothing is blown...is there a fuse for o/d switch..or is it in the colum itself? 2001 expl.sport..4.0 sohc..94k..thanks

there is no "codes" for your ac. its low on coolant. No there is "looking glass".... take it to a ac shop. I am not what you are trying to say with "took out a/c relay switch..which of coarse didnt make the compressor come on but! still pulling power somewhere". What are you actually trying to do???? Your ac probably cycling cause its low on freon... and you have selected a position that causes it to come on during some time period. Very confusing???

was just trying to see if its electrical before taking it somewhere..dont have alot of money..see if its a relay switch or seleniod going bad...u know a/c are not suppost to leak or get low esp if its only7 yrs old...but i forgot we are dealing with a ford...i plann on having system checked out by experts..but im a hands on guy..and lots of stuff could be fixed without having to take it somewhere...

well, if you want your ac to stay on (as a check), just take the lower pressure switch connector off and throw a short across the connector. Your ac will likely stay on without cycling. This is a "good sign" that you have little or no freon. Don't run like this for long.

Back